Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Grip shifters too hard too shift?
Hi everyone,

I've recently been trying to fix my bike, it has a shimano derailleur. I'm fairly new to this stuff, so I tried looking up on youtube how to adjust the back gears. I can adjust the cable to become more tense or loose. The problem I'm having is that when it's tense, the grip shift won't turn, if it's too loose, the grip shift turn easily but the gears don't move from lowest to highest and vice versa.

I'm thinking it could be a problem with the grip shift? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Is the cable free of movement if you remove the cable screw on the rear derailleur??
Can be the shifter or housing...

What kind of grip shifter you got on that bike? Post a picture if possible

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!

So here's a picture.

There is one screw that if I loosen it, the cable becomes free and yes I can pull it a bit to make the tension tighter, or looser when I screw it back on. Also, when I pull on the cable from the middle parts of the cable, the derailleur does move to shift gears if the cable is tense, just not from the shifter, the shifter barely spins. If the cable is loose, the shifter can spin, but the derailleur doesn't move.

Hope this information helps.
Cable must be jammed inside of the shifter, or internals are mucked with grease or mud

What's the make/model of your shifter?? Doesn't look like a Shimano or Sram??

If you can find some pics or manuals on the Net, it can help you solve this case!
It's a cheaper bike, so probably not a brand name shifter. Is it an easy fix if I was to open up my shifter and clean it up?
(11-28-2011, 11:53 PM)custom1 Wrote:  It's a cheaper bike, so probably not a brand name shifter. Is it an easy fix if I was to open up my shifter and clean it up?

just get new, You can find deals like this all day long, new grips also and cables too
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sram-MRX-Comp-Shifter-Set-6-Speed-Grip-Twist-/300627535787?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252B​UFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D330637220386%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4529050473027066463#ht_​793wt_1031

it would help to know where you live i.e. update your Bio and welcome to biketutor
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Well, can buy new, or still open the shifter, learn how it's working, try and repair it, and be more proud!!! I know that grip shifters are more complicated than regular or thumb shifters, but doing it yourself first can be an experience on itself
Yes, that's what I was hoping for, to do it myself. So it is possible to fix it myself I'm assuming. Do you know any good instructional videos or guides I can look through, they don't have to be my specific shifters, I just need to get an idea on how these things work. I can only find how to adjust rear derailleur videos!!
As a general rule , I have to ask myself what would I do if it was mine, and what would be more dependable in the long run if it were a customer, at around $20 for new grips, shifters, and inner cables, seems like the right thing to do. By your pics I stand firm by replacement
but sure, go ahead and tear them down, check em out, then put them in the trash where you can be proud you made the right choice. It is good to learn to work on your bike for sure. But do the work in a manner that will keep your bike on the road or trail longer and in the workstand less.
replace your housing too while your at it, you can thank me later I am used to it! good luck
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Getting new would be ideal, but if I get new I would still need to know how they work in order to install them. So I figured I can try fixing these and then if I make mistakes (which I will), it won't really damage the new ones.
I agree with that, you do not want to mess up new ones. If you do end up getting the new ones remember to replace your cable housing. I think its great you want to learn how to this kind of stuff and to you I say " All The Best "
Most of the new shifters come ready to slip on and lock down so do not worry that you will break them, plus they will come with the paper work instructions that you want also. great for when you have to replace the inner wire
(11-30-2011, 11:55 PM)custom1 Wrote:  Getting new would be ideal, but if I get new I would still need to know how they work in order to install them. So I figured I can try fixing these and then if I make mistakes (which I will), it won't really damage the new ones.

They are pretty simple inside. Look for a video instruction on replacing the rear derailleur cable.

Here are a couple other replacements:
rear only:
http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Bicycle-Twist-Shifter-6-Speed/dp/B0017YRVZK/
front and rear sets:
http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Bicycle-Twist-Shifter-6-Speed/dp/B0017YRVZK/
SRAM MRX series works with Shimano and Shimano compatible rear derailluers.

And if you convert to a seven speed freewheel; you change to TRX trigger shifters:
http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Mountain-Trigger-Shifter-7-Speed/dp/B000VSY9Q2/
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-03-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Tollyboll123

09-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Last Post: elmore leonard