Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear shifter does not shift
new to the forum--I need some help

here's a step by step of what has happened

1. rear shifter stopped working. would not even move. model SL-510 Shimano Deore(older model i know)

2. First I thought maybe the rear derailer was caked up with mud--for all it does is rain here lately..so With my handy Zihn book i overhauled with little problem.---still shifter does not move

3. replaced the cable---nothing

4. replaced the shifter(was surprised I could find the original model)--still nothing

5. I think this may be a cable tension issue or possible a high/low screw adjustment--but not sure--tightened cable- nothing--have not touched the high/low screws

So what's next--I am at a loss of what to do --Zihn book has no repair technique on a shifter that does not shift--is this a cable tension thing--I would rather fix this myself than take it to a shop to save some $

thanks all
in addition---what happened was I was riding up a hill(mountain biking)--got to level spot at top and the shifter just stopped--only front derailer moved---3 gears and 2 miles from my truck--lol
pictures please.

1. disconnect the cable from the derailluer and remove the rear wheel.
- does the shifter now move freely?
- can the derailluer be moved across its range of travel without undo force? It should spring back to the smallest cog location, and move smoothly over the whole range of travel side to side.

we await your answers, so that we can provide the next step in the diagnosis.
Nigel
Only because mine is very close to this one and I thought it would be good to keep it in one thread...

I installed a new Alivio rear shifter but it won't shift. I had thought maybe it was the cable so I replaced that, but it will pull the dérailleur back... but the dérailleur won't shift at all. It isn't getting caught up in the housing.. I can move it all by hand and have lined everything up... it just won't shift...

Has anyone had this?
If you have a old cable thread it through the housing back buy the derailleur and attach it. pedal the bike by hand and pull the cable by hand and see how it acts.
Take the cable that is on the bike but pull by hand and start clicking your shifter to feel if it moves
let us know
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Hey, I just did both... the cable is correctly attached and when I put it through the gears it does move properly. I did as you suggested and pulled it by hand... but it just pulled backwards, there was no shifting or indexing... very strange!

Thoughts?
(08-01-2011, 10:53 PM)Ontheverge Wrote:  Hey, I just did both... the cable is correctly attached and when I put it through the gears it does move properly. I did as you suggested and pulled it by hand... but it just pulled backwards, there was no shifting or indexing... very strange!

Thoughts?

If I understand what you are saying, when you pulled on the cable attached to the shifter, there was no shifting or indexing, you could just pull it. This means you need a new shifter.

Please note that there is not indexing in the derailleur, it is in the shifter.
Nigel
Sorry, I was just looking at the title of the post and there is probably some confusion if you were just reading it. The shifter is fine and working, the brand new derailleur is not changing gears at all..

Possibly Related Threads...