Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

New Canyon bike: won't shift into lowest gear (largest rear cog)
I ordered a brand new Canyon Endurace that simply won't shift into the easiest gear. It's almost as if the whole shifting is off by one. When in the highest (hardest) gear, there is one more shift click available, even though it won't shift further. But in the 2nd lowest (easiest) gear, there's no more room to shift. Despite playing with barrel adjuster and lower limit screw, I cannot manage to move the derailer far enough to the left to get it into that low gear.

Is the cable tension (clamp) too tight, too loose? I just don't know what to do. I've looked at the Park Tool guide for rear derailers, but it doesn't help when the limit screws or barrel adjuster doesn't move it any further.
Limit screws limit the total movement of the derailleur. The cable just pulls the derailleur through that range via shifter command. So you have 2 possible issues. Probably a combination of both. Cable needs to be adjusted (very likely on a new bike) if assembled by someone who really knows bikes, or the low limit screw needs to be backed out a little bit. These adjustments on a Direct to consumer bike will need to be made.

To check the limit screws, shift the chain down to the smallest cog. Disconnect the cable from the derailleur. In a stand while you pedal the bike, push the derailleur through its range to see if it will actually go into the biggest cog. If not, then back out the LOW limit screw until it does. Check the high limit screw at the same time for derailleur moving too far towards the frame.

With the derailleur back into the smallest cog position, scre the barrel adjuster all the way in. Then back it out 1.5 turns. Pull the cable tight and Reattach it to the derailleur. Check your shifting. You'll probably have the shifting so it won't go up the cassette. Back out the barrel adjuster until it does. Should be maybe 2 turns out to start. Fine tune your shifting by either backing out or screwing in the barrel adjuster.

Possibly Related Threads...