Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Front Derailer fails to shift to the bigger cog only when I'm riding the bike
Hi,

I followed the park tool instruction for the front and rear derailer alignment but the Front Derailer moves to the bigger cog only when I'm not riding the bike. On the stand, it moves to the bigger cog just fine but whenever I ride it doesn't move. It shifts perfectly on the stand but seems to hit the h limit screw when sitting and actually riding (the cables are not being clamped in any way on the stand).

Should I just loosen the H limit on the front derailer more than the video recommends?
Typically that would be the last adjustment to make, So yes back out a quarter turn, test ride, repeat if need be making sure the chain does not get thrown to the outside
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-20-2020, 01:09 PM)DMVbiker Wrote:  Hi,

On the stand, it moves to the bigger cog just fine but whenever I ride it doesn't move

Hi DMV,
Were you able to solve your issue using Painkiller's recommendation?
I am curious because I regularly set up my derailleur range of movement before riding, but I never have to readjust when riding so it seemed odd that it would readily shift without problem on the stand, but not while riding. Please enlighten us as to the result of your manual mechanical ministrations.

Thanks,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...