Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Brake Rotor Lock Rings
I'm building a bike and have some questions about lock rings for centerlock rotors. Is there a difference between a brake rotor lock ring and a cassette lockring? Can a cassette lock ring be used with a brake rotor? If not, what is the difference between the two?
Not 100% sure, but I believe the tools for centrelock rotors are slightly different.

If you want my honest advice, try it and see if it will fit. If the threads are the same pitch and you have the same amount of thread, I see no reason why not.

Oh and by the way, you can buy an adapter for centrelock hubs to convert them to standard 6-bolt. The advantage is you can now install any other rotor onto your hub (centrelock rotors are very expensive), as rotors are interchangeable with all brake systems (other than a Hope V2 vented rotor, which you can only use with V2 brakes)
As Jon noted, the tool is slightly differant but, in a pinch I have used a cassette lockring tool on centerlock rotors. I've actually never thought to compare the two lockrings - I'll have to do that!

I am curious as to why you would feel the need to substitute a cassette lockring for a rotor lockring. Rotors come with them. I'm not 100% positive without inspecting them but, I think that the rotor LRs have a larger flange diameter.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
(03-21-2011, 06:01 PM)RobAR Wrote:  As Jon noted, the tool is slightly differant but, in a pinch I have used a cassette lockring tool on centerlock rotors. I've actually never thought to compare the two lockrings - I'll have to do that!

I am curious as to why you would feel the need to substitute a cassette lockring for a rotor lockring. Rotors come with them. I'm not 100% positive without inspecting them but, I think that the rotor LRs have a larger flange diameter.

Hi Rob, and thanks for your input.

Actually, the lock ring tool for Shimano and SRAM cassettes is the same for their centerlock rotors.

I bought a set of Avid G3CS rotors and they did not come with lock rings. I asked at the local bike shop, and none of the Shimano centerlock rotors they have in stock come with lock rings either! The mechanic and I then went through their supply options, and it seems difficult for the LBS to get only the lock rings, however there are plenty of cassette lock rings available. The mechanic did mention that rotor lock rings might be a larger diameter than cassette lock rings. That being said, could a 12T cassette lock ring be used with a rotor?

Thanks.
Getting spare parts from Shimano is like squeezing blood out of a stone!

If you want a specific centre-lock lockring you'll probs have to buy a new hub (yes, Shimano's MTB stuff is that dumb, I've had to bin a brake set because they refused to send my LBS just a piston!)

As I mentioned earlier, just buy an adapter, that should include a lockring and means you don't need centrelock rotors.
(03-22-2011, 08:58 AM)JonB Wrote:  Getting spare parts from Shimano is like squeezing blood out of a stone!

If you want a specific centre-lock lockring you'll probs have to buy a new hub (yes, Shimano's MTB stuff is that dumb, I've had to bin a brake set because they refused to send my LBS just a piston!)

As I mentioned earlier, just buy an adapter, that should include a lockring and means you don't need centrelock rotors.

Hi Jon, and thanks for your advice.

I had already purchased the rotors and figured that the lock rings would be readily available. The LBS also suggested running a 6-bolt adapter, which I might do as an absolute last resort. Again, I've already spent the money on the centerlock rotors and want to use them if at all possible. Now that you mention it, would a lock ring for a 6-bolt adapter work on a centerlock rotor?

Thanks again!
Don't see why not.

Looks pretty much the same (if you buy Shimano's one), but I'd try and double check in the flesh before parting with cash if you can.
would the hubs come with the lock ring?
Darren - I took a look inside 4 packages of Shimano rotors today and they ALL had rings included. They are in a small plastic bag taped to the back of the card that hold the rotor. Probably easy to miss!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about rotor lock rings. Was up at LBS today and found a definitive answer to "The Burning Question." Cassette lock rings cannot be used long-term with brake rotors because a cassette lock ring (even 12T) is too small in diameter to fully engage the spline on a centerlock brake rotor. This came from Trek directly. On a positive note, the mechanic was able to find new rotor lock rings.

Thanks again to everyone who replied!

Possibly Related Threads...