Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Carboot buy - Raleigh, Townsend & Punch
Well was at the carboot this week like most weeks, but seemed to come across more bikes cheaper than usual so ended up buying 3.

*First, Raleigh Outland
I already have one the same that I bought last month that I use it for my main bike at the moment. I bought this one just to fix up and sell on. Its previous owner has done some upgrades to it; handle bars, rear mech, rear wheel and chainset. I think they’re from around 1992.
[attachment=2117]
Here’s a pic of the one I have been using. The chainset’s square taper was destroyed so I toke a chainset of another bike, fitted a shimano cartage BB, replaced cables and fitted the slick/semi-slick tyres. Makes a good commuter.
[attachment=2118]
*Next, Townsend MT Tobin
The reason I bought this one is because I had heard of Townsend before but couldn't remember if they were considered a good or bad manufacture. Plus its components seamed descent; shimano GS200 mech's, STI 7 speed shifters, shimano chainset, shimano hubs and Japanese seat post and rims. I was thinking ever the components could be worth something on their own if parted out.
[attachment=2119]

Well when I got home and internet researched that Townsend are considered crap and couldn’t find one reference to the model. I wasn't too sure I got the bargain that I originally thought, but looking that the frame it looks pretty good. Some of the Tubes look pushed in place (not sure what you call it) like you see on vintage bikes.
[attachment=2121]
[attachment=2122]

The brake boss says Cr Mo, so is the whole frame chromium molybdenum?
[attachment=2123]

Now I’m not too sure whether to use the Townsend as my main bike or the Raleigh as I don’t really have room for both. Need help both 21” frames so what’s better.

*Finally, I saved the best for last. Punch - Elegance

I got this raucously cheap and it’s in amazing condition. The date on the sturmey archer hub is 1975. A very complete bike in excellent condition.
[attachment=2124]
[attachment=2125]
[attachment=2126]
[attachment=2127]
I going to hang on to this bike in the mean time and ride it occasionally until I pick up something similar that I like better but don’t think that will happen.
I going to replace all the bearings, I don't really see the need to replace the outer cable or the tyres what you’s think?
OK, spit it out, what car boot sale do you go too, to get these beauties. My local car boot sales comprise of dodgy dvd's, even dodgier cigarettes and donuts, that if thrown would hole a tank. lol.
(04-11-2011, 04:00 AM)doctordee Wrote:  OK, spit it out, what car boot sale do you go too, to get these beauties. My local car boot sales comprise of dodgy dvd's, even dodgier cigarettes and donuts, that if thrown would hole a tank. lol.

Crumlin road, its the best one.
Very nice bikes. Being a yank, I had to ask my boss, who's from England, what a car boot sale was. Very interesting concept. Sort of our neighborhood garage sales, except on wheels.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
(04-11-2011, 02:32 PM)Darrenjs92ni Wrote:  
(04-11-2011, 04:00 AM)doctordee Wrote:  OK, spit it out, what car boot sale do you go too, to get these beauties. My local car boot sales comprise of dodgy dvd's, even dodgier cigarettes and donuts, that if thrown would hole a tank. lol.

Crumlin road, its the best one.

oo and nuts corners is good for some tools and lubs. WD40, 3 in 1 and chain spray at £2 a can. Wd40 in shops is usaly over a fiver.

this week has been a very bike related week.
Sunday bought them 3 bikes.
Monday as i cycled to tec along the lagan towpath i fond a bike that had been dumped, but its to rusted so its been stripped for parts.
and today i sold a bike though gumtree.
Ok update, I haven’t been on because as I had forgotten my password. But got the Townsend is put together, all new cables and I have been using it for commuting. It shifts well, the brake levers I don’t like they move up and down on the pivots too much and the rear brake won’t return properly. I think the bike is from about 1990. The BB is stuck in the Raleigh so it’s still in bits.
[attachment=2381]

Bought this Dawes Kingpin a few weeks back, its single speed. I haven’t had time to look at it much yet, but all seems to work apart from rear brake. Only ride back and forth for less than a mile at a time it ride well.
[attachment=2382]

Found this dumped along a road to day. It’s a “British Eagle Cycles” steel frame, 21 speed, with Shimano Altus components, cool double wall yellow rims seems like an ok bike. I’m thinking of keeping this one and then selling on the Townsend. With new tires, Cables, BB, brake pads, chain this bike will be better than new. I also got ez-fire type shifter and alloy v-brakes that I will fit to this bike.
[attachment=2383]
[attachment=2384]
Only problem with this bike is the seat post is well stuck. It looked like it was beaten with a hammer when I got it. I have tried drilling a hole through it then putting a bar through it and hitting it up the way, but it didn’t move 1mm. I’ll just try soaking it with WD-40 for a few days at least.
[attachment=2385]