Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Why won't my rear derailleur lock into place
When I have my bike upside down the derailleur's fine. But when I turn the bike upright, it goes down and the chain hangs. The second picture is me holding it in place. Why won't it lock?
This is me holding it upright.
Looks like the rear mech is broken beyond repair to me. Time for a new one. You can pick them up quite cheap from your local bike shop or even cheaper online if you know which type to order
Would I be able to use the same cables and keep the front derailleur?
Yes as long as cable isn't frayed at the end
Thanks a lot. I spent 2 hours figuring its old school braking system and learned quite a bit. Hopefully the gear change won't be that difficult.
Not exactly sure what you are trying to show here. Deraillers hang at different angles depending what gear they are in to accommodate chain length.
Sometimes the spring gets weak/broken or crud accumulates holding it back. Does it work?
I would first suggest cleaning and lubricating the components. Use a toothbrush with solvent , wipe clean, dry and than spray with a lubricant.
Never Give Up!!!
I tried installing a new one. The chain still hangs. Also it seems the chain will not stay on track.
I do not think you have the chain thru your pulleys correct
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(05-24-2013, 09:35 PM)painkiller Wrote:  I do not think you have the chain thru your pulleys correct
Ok, it seems you have a mess on your hands, who recommended the derailluer you bought? take a look @ your cable routing, no no.
look at the pic below and get closer to that. the other pic is what I would recommend to do, is use an adapter and put a direct bolt on derailluer of better quality. the one you have purchased may still work if installed correctly but is designed as more of a rapid rise mega-range cog set.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
It was recommended by a bike shop. You mean an adapter to secure it to the frame? It came with a bolt, however it is too short. I was just going to drill a hole myself and bolt it.
forget about the adapter pic, that would be for a derailuer like i have.
your derailluer should have a little bolt connected to a funky u shaped part that holds it in place in your dropout ( axle slot ) . looks like you have it removed, you should have one on your old derailluer too you may be able to use. It holds the derailluer in place when the wheel is removed. I have to swap computers and I will post a pic of the correct side view and what it looks like from the back of the holding nut
MIMIC THIS

Possibly Related Threads...