Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain rings/chain
I'm looking to replace my chain rings and sprockets in the back as well. The teeth on all of the rings and sprockets are worn, so I figured I replace the whole-shabang. The problem is, I'm not sure where to start, but I know it has to go....I think. The chain is always slipping when I'm pedaling fast and they slip up and down sprockets by itself. I'm looking to replace all the stock parts that came with my Norco Rival. Is there anysense in replacing the Crank arms? When do you know they are worn? Is it cheaper just to get a whole set?
Tips? Advice?
Thanks!!
hello and welcome to tutor!
I would start by taking some close-up pics of your drivetrain front and rear areas and go from there. I assume yours is an Mtb. How many off-road trail time does it have? how many miles approx. does the bike have? When was the last attempt to adjust the gears? Is there any looseness to the crank itself?
Quite often on mid-range cranks the rings are not replaceable so you replace the whole crankset.
it sounds like you like your bike and rings, cassettes, and chains are normal items to replace. Do you have the proper tools and plan to do it yourself? We can guide you to the proper tools you need and stuff so for now lets see some pictures please
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I can't seem to get pictures to post on here. Sigh. I broke my laptop a few days ago. I'm trying to do this on my iPhone. But it Dosent seem to be working. Sorry
Ok I got some pictures here that I took of my bike with my iphone.
I hope this is what your looking for or if it will help you any. If not, let me know and I'll try and take some more! Thanks again!
If you feel that they are that worn and it is not an adjustment issue, I would say start with the rear cluster and chain, see how that acts after proper adjustment. If all seems well after that do not worry about the front rings. hard to tell from the pics but the chain may be worn a bit and looks like a good lube is in order
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(01-29-2013, 12:15 AM)painkiller Wrote:  If you feel that they are that worn and it is not an adjustment issue, I would say start with the rear cluster and chain, see how that acts after proper adjustment. If all seems well after that do not worry about the front rings. hard to tell from the pics but the chain may be worn a bit and looks like a good lube is in order

OK ill do that then. What lube would you recomend? I heard the waxy stuff is the way to go. I have a few tools coming, I may wait till I get everything i need all at once. What tools do you need to take the rear cluster off? a chain whip thingy?
Some use the waxy stuff, if you want try it I recommend cleaning the chain first. ( new or used ). On chains my first pick is Slick50 1Lube
http://www.slick50.com/ourProducts/oneLube.shtml

second would be Tri-flow which I use for chains, inner cables, and to smear on various nuts and bolts to ward off rust.

I use Phil wood grease ( the green stuff ) for threads, posts,bearings
seat tubes and internal frame swabbing.

I use WD-40 for cleaning old gummy deposits on the frames and components ( safe for paint, plastic and rubber ). Also great for removing sticker sticky
Thats my main arsenal for lubes. I do have the wax based lube but do not use in on my own rides, It does need one to take the time to properly clean and dry the chain to be most effective and it is more expensive. I would recommend a snap on the chain chain scrubber and detergent when using the wax type. Some claim the chain is more quiet with it also. It is not dual purpose as much as the Tri-flo and Slick50 one Lube

You will need a chain whip and shimano casstte removal to like this or equiv.
http://www.parktool.com/product/cassette-lockring-tool-fr-5

I am from the states so you are at your own mercy as to the best place to aquire
Good luck and keep us posted

Possibly Related Threads...