Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Removing Bolt on crankshaft?
Forgive me if I'm not using the correct verbiage. Have a 1984 or 85 World Traveler and would like to know the tool I need to remove a specific bolt to remove the crankshaft.

The removal appears to require a specific tool. Attached a picture of the bolt.

Thanks in advance for your help.
The bolt will be for only holding the crank in place.
Hold the left crank and undo the bolt anti clockwise.
The "part" that's holding the "Bottom Bracket" will normally have a left hand thread. (turn clockwise to undo.
Yes'. There will probably be a "special" tool required to undo it but I don't recognize the fitting.
Can you post a photo of the other side and, if possible a close up of the above part that screws into the frame?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
well, something new every day, I have not seen a setup like this before, the splined fitting, yes, but not the the part behind it.
It looks almost as though the chainset has a freewheel built in, it doesn't, does it? pictures of the chainwheel, front and back would be useful.
(09-19-2010, 04:04 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  The bolt will be for only holding the crank in place.
The "part" that's holding the "Bottom Bracket" will normally have a left hand thread. (turn clockwise to undo.
Yes'. There will probably be a "special" tool required to undo it but I don't recognize the fitting.
Can you post a photo of the other side and, if possible a close up of the above part that screws into the frame?

Thanks cyclerUK.

Here's a picture of the other side (could not get a good close up of the part). On this side (the other side) I removed the bolt but could not remove the part.
(09-19-2010, 04:04 PM)cyclerUK Wrote:  The bolt will be for only holding the crank in place.

Thanks Trevgbb.

That's correct and apologize for not mentioning it. The chainset has a freewheel built in. My camera decided to break after these pictures were taken (of all the rotten luck).
I have read about some Schwinns having a freewheel in the crankset, but never seen anything about stripping them out.
Unfortunately the second photo isn't clear enough but maybe this is the side to undo to take out the BB.
If you have no luck then I would suggest you ask at a bike shop for their advice.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(09-20-2010, 09:22 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  I have read about some Schwinns having a freewheel in the crankset, but never seen anything about stripping them out.
Unfortunately the second photo isn't clear enough but maybe this is the side to undo to take out the BB.
If you have no luck then I would suggest you ask at a bike shop for their advice.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your help. I'll give that another shot and visit the local bike shop for help if needed.

Possibly Related Threads...