Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Please help on adjusting these V-brakes!
I cannot get these things right. I already watched the video tutorial but it didn't help me any. I managed to adjust the set for the front wheel ok, but the bake ones do want to corporate.

I keep re-adjusting the cable tension, cable position, brake screw etc but cannot get it right. One arm moves good but the other arm is too close to the wheel. So when I pull the brake level one arm moves and the other doesn't, well doesn't move very much. How do you adjust these? I watched someone else's tutorial and they said to unscrew the barrel screw almost all the way, pull the cable tight, then screw the barrel screw back in. Didn't work.

Anyone else have this problem of uneven V-brakes? the arm's both have good spring-back though when I un-hooked them. I'm going biking on Sunday and I hope to have these fixed by then.
Fairly common problem but everything you need to know is in the video except!!
check that your wheel is central in the frame, it is not unusual, especially at the lower end of the market. to have wheels either not aligned properly or not dished correctly.
Most v-brakes have a spring tension adjustment on one or both of the individual arms. This is how you "center" them so that they both pull away from the rim evenly. Usually it is a small screw down near the bottom of the arm where it pivots.
(05-28-2010, 04:45 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Most v-brakes have a spring tension adjustment on one or both of the individual arms. This is how you "center" them so that they both pull away from the rim evenly. Usually it is a small screw down near the bottom of the arm where it pivots.

Thanks! I didn't even notice them.

By the way, while I was messing around with this I accidentally popped off the "cap" on the end of the brake wire. Can I buy these online anywhere? I don't want to become really frayed over time.
There called cable tips, should be able to get them anywhere. Some people use a drop of super glue instead.
(05-28-2010, 08:17 PM)DaveM Wrote:  There called cable tips, should be able to get them anywhere. Some people use a drop of super glue instead.

Do you think they'd charge me if I asked for one at my LBS?
Probably not. They're like 2 cents (well, maybe 5) anyway...

Possibly Related Threads...