Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Trek Domane AL2 front derailleur [Solved]
I purchased a used Trek Domane AL2 disc. The previous owner removed the front derailleur. I am trying to install a new one but am having an issue with the cable.

When I try to pull the cable to apply tension before tightening, it is pulling the housing through the frame. This is a problem because it doesn't leave enough slack to turn the handlebars. I feel like I am missing some sort of stopper for the housing. I spoke to a mechanic at a local Trek dealer and he said I am not missing anything, but that there is probably a kink in my housing somewhere.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

Attached Files Image(s)

(02-07-2022, 12:46 AM)Catsup Wrote:  I purchased a used Trek Domane AL2 disc. The previous owner removed the front derailleur. I am trying to install a new one but am having an issue with the cable.

When I try to pull the cable to apply tension before tightening, it is pulling the housing through the frame. This is a problem because it doesn't leave enough slack to turn the handlebars. I feel like I am missing some sort of stopper for the housing. I spoke to a mechanic at a local Trek dealer and he said I am not missing anything, but that there is probably a kink in my housing somewhere.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

Hi Catsup!

I am trying to wrap my head around this since I am an old school (very old school) guy so I assume the housings shown are for front derailleur (middle), and rear derailleur and brake. What is the bolt for? It is possible that there was a clamping piece there that held the housing(s) in place. Someone more familiar with this set-up should be able to help you. I am trying to think of a couple mechanics who have been responding recently. Let me send out a help request and see if they can help you out. I would ask your Trek mechanic what that bolt is for. On my older bike it would be to hold a cable guide onto the bottom bracket, but your bike is a different beast altogether.

@ChaseCal , @jeffg
hoping one (or both) of you might have some ideas as to the solution of this problem. Sounds like there should be a simple solution, but I am not familiar with these newer bikes and their cable routing/set-up.

Thanks!!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I went to a different bike shop that had my exact same bike on the sales floor and confirmed I am missing a piece. It is a small plastic bottom bracket guide for a single cable. They told me the OEM part is on back order until March, so I am going to order a generic version and hope it fits to by in the meantime.

(02-08-2022, 01:11 PM)Catsup Wrote:  I went to a different bike shop that had my exact same bike on the sales floor and confirmed I am missing a piece. It is a small plastic bottom bracket guide for a single cable. Cable housing goes in one end, and bare cable comes out the other. They told me the OEM part is on back order until March, so I am going to order a generic version and hope it fits to by in the meantime.
(02-08-2022, 01:11 PM)Catsup Wrote:  I went to a different bike shop that had my exact same bike on the sales floor and confirmed I am missing a piece. It is a small plastic bottom bracket guide for a single cable. They told me the OEM part is on back order until March, so I am going to order a generic version and hope it fits to by in the meantime.

(02-08-2022, 01:11 PM)Catsup Wrote:  I went to a different bike shop that had my exact same bike on the sales floor and confirmed I am missing a piece. It is a small plastic bottom bracket guide for a single cable. Cable housing goes in one end, and bare cable comes out the other. They told me the OEM part is on back order until March, so I am going to order a generic version and hope it fits to by in the meantime.

Great! I wasn't too far off then. On my bikes that is all bare cable where your guide/stop is missing, but it makes sense that you would need a cable housing stop somewhere. Unfortunately, that is a sad reflection upon that first shop you went to with a Trek 'mechanic' who didn't notice something that I saw in your photo as odd, and the only Trek I've worked on is nearly 40 years old (and a great bike at that!)..
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...