Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Best bike lube for wet conditions
Autumn is approaching, guys. It also means more rain and more of those wet bike rides, at least in this part of the world. Any advice on which bike lube (general) is the best for road bikes in wet conditions? Could it be something from Mucoff or Finish line? It can be just a brand, can be a specific lube..
The past years I used some finish line stuff, I think ceramic wet lube or so. After winter I replaced the chain anyway. They use a lot of salt on the road in western Norway.
Soudal's lubes are solid based on my experience, I can also give both thumbs up for Muc-off. No experience with FinishLine though.

(09-12-2019, 09:35 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  The past years I used some finish line stuff, I think ceramic wet lube or so. After winter I replaced the chain anyway. They use a lot of salt on the road in western Norway.

Do you live somewhere near Bergen?
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(09-14-2019, 04:26 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Soudal's lubes are solid based on my experience, I can also give both thumbs up for Muc-off. No experience with FinishLine though.

(09-12-2019, 09:35 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  The past years I used some finish line stuff, I think ceramic wet lube or so. After winter I replaced the chain anyway. They use a lot of salt on the road in western Norway.

Do you live somewhere near Bergen?

Yeah, used to until recently. Miss it, just not the weather ;-p
The UCI road cycling championship was great (2017? Wow... already two years), especially the time trial up onto Fløyen (except for poor Toni Martin, saw him back in downtown Bergen afterwards, looked really bad and downcast - but this was really not for him, it's a nasty climb, I know 'cause I tried, though not on a TT bike).
(09-11-2019, 09:38 AM)hviz Wrote:  Autumn is approaching, guys. It also means more rain and more of those wet bike rides, at least in this part of the world. Any advice on which bike lube (general) is the best for road bikes in wet conditions? Could it be something from Mucoff or Finish line? It can be just a brand, can be a specific lube.
I use Rock n' Roll lube. They makes lubes for different conditions. I found the red lube to be excellent. I think their blue lube is made for wet conditions. I buy it a pint at a time, with the refill bottles included.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
(09-16-2019, 03:59 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Yeah, used to until recently. Miss it, just not the weather ;-p
The UCI road cycling championship was great (2017? Wow... already two years), especially the time trial up onto Fløyen (except for poor Toni Martin, saw him back in downtown Bergen afterwards, looked really bad and downcast - but this was really not for him, it's a nasty climb, I know 'cause I tried, though not on a TT bike).

Ah, missed your reply. Haha, how did you deal with that weather? It must be one of the wettest (and most beautiful) cities in the Europe with more rainy days than no-rainy ones Big Grin And you must have many tips on cycling in rain and wet weather conditions.

Bergen's ITT is one to remember, just by looking at the profile. How were the crowds? I was at Ponferrada & Innsbruck, two different experiences in terms of atmosphere and crowds.

Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(10-17-2019, 06:59 AM)Zviedrs Wrote:  
(09-16-2019, 03:59 PM)Joe_W Wrote:  Yeah, used to until recently. Miss it, just not the weather ;-p

Ah, missed your reply. Haha, how did you deal with that weather? It must be one of the wettest (and most beautiful) cities in the Europe with more rainy days than no-rainy ones Big Grin And you must have many tips on cycling in rain and wet weather conditions.

Bergen's ITT is one to remember, just by looking at the profile. How were the crowds? I was at Ponferrada & Innsbruck, two different experiences in terms of atmosphere and crowds.

The TT was cruel, but really one for the crowds. The athletes climbing up Fløyen, with the MC just behind with the spare bike on... but you could really see them for a while, not just have them zipping past. Fløyen was so crowded they stopped people from climbing up (unless you were a local and went up from the side). People really did party, and the police was pretty easy going and relaxed (and did turn a bit of a blind eye wrt the beer drinking, which is in principle not allowed in public, but usually being handled as "don't be stupid, don't be obnoxious, and we won't remark on it"). I was downtown for several races, also the men's road race. I sadly missed the team time trial, that would have gone past my place Smile Especially close to the finish line it was incredibly crowded every day, but we really were lucky with the weather. Oh, and I did bike a few km together with the US team (the younger athletes, not the elite) on my commute one day, that went quite fast and effortless for a few km. I got a 'look' from one of the cars, but they let me - but then my team jersey does have blue and red stars on it.

Bergen is a beautiful city (mostly) - all of Western (and Northern) Norway[*] (from... say Folgefonna up North) is stunning and worth traveling there, especially if you are an outdoors kind of person - the fjords, the mountains, glaciers, the colours during the summer "nights", winter can be nice as well (well, where and when you still get a decent winter). Best months to travel to Bergen are May and June (least rain), and especially in June you get amazing long evenings. But it sure does rain a lot. 2500mm of precipitation per year (like... 8 ft?) and 240 days with precipitation (I guess 193.5 in the US/imperial system? ;-p ). The trick biking in the rain is not to mind it. It is only bad the first few minutes and when you get cold. So dress up accordingly. Actually: biking in storms is not fun. The hail stings like hell on the legs and in the face, and having to bike up the road with sheet flow on the street is also a tad sketchy at times. Winter is spiked tyres season (also for cars, which need to buy an extra "piggdekkoblat" (piked tyre stamp) to be displayed in the car when entering the city limits). I lived just outside Bergen, close to a fjord, and it was usually 3°C colder than in the city with ample amounts of moisture, so the roads were icy. You get some snow up on the mountains surrounding Bergen, but not too much down in the city. I would have liked to ski to work, but never managed to do that Undecided

[*] okay, Oslo is also not too bad... but I'm not supposed to say that, having lived in Bergen ;-)
I will suggest you to buy a soundal lubes..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: ishvii

06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Dalton2250

02-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Last Post: dave_sd