Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Chain getting sucked in by fat tire
Hi, my chain on a 2016 Specialized fatboy keeps getting sucked into the tire and comes off when I am in the top gear coasting. I have had multiple bike shops look at it and they say that those bike are not made to be in the top gear which sound ridiculous to me. It also been suggested that I change the front sprocket from a 28 to a 32. Also the chain measured fine. Any suggestions?
please tell me what you mean by top gear. do you mean the big cog in the rear or small cog in the rear? What is your drive train? i.e. 1x10 2x10?

also, what is your tire width? Is your chain getting sucked in up front being pulled off of your chainring?

Your Bottom bracket spindle is set and cannot be changed. chainring swap probably would not make a difference on the chain suck. swapping tires closer to 4 in. would get the chain away from the tire, not the cheapest but that is the name of the fat tire game.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-25-2017, 02:35 PM)painkiller Wrote:  please tell me what you mean by top gear. do you mean the big cog in the rear or small cog in the rear? What is your drive train? i.e. 1x10 2x10?

also, what is your tire width? Is your chain getting sucked in up front being pulled off of your chainring?

Your Bottom bracket spindle is set and cannot be changed. chainring swap probably would not make a difference on the chain suck. swapping tires closer to 4 in. would get the chain away from the tire, not the cheapest but that is the name of the fat tire game.

The hardest to pedal or smallest gear and it's 1X10. Stock fat tire so I think 4". Yes the chain sways and hits the tire and sucks it in between the tire and frame. I don't know anyone else who has this issue and it happens so often, like every 10 min.
can you post a picture of the chain in top gear and give the dim. of the chain to tire on top and bottom of chainring in front. and a side shot of the rear derailleur on the small cog and on the large cog, so I can see how the chain is fitted. Has this been going on since new? or something starting to happen after you have put some miles on the bike?

It does not seem to make sense that the tire is grabbing the chain in the gear furthest away from the chain if not doing it in the other gears also.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-25-2017, 08:54 PM)painkiller Wrote:  can you post a picture of the chain in top gear and give the dim. of the chain to tire on top and bottom of chainring in front. and a side shot of the rear derailleur on the small cog and on the large cog, so I can see how the chain is fitted. Has this been going on since new? or something starting to happen after you have put some miles on the bike?

It does not seem to make sense that the tire is grabbing the chain in the gear furthest away from the chain if not doing it in the other gears also.

Sorry, I took it back to the shop where I bought it and said don't call me until it's fixed, well.... they haven't called so I figure I will need to pick it up and fix this myself.
It just started about a month ago and increasingly getting worse. It when the chain is the loosest
see what they say. from what you say, I would probably check the rear derailleur alignment, replace the chain and cut it towards the short side.
(06-25-2017, 09:48 PM)painkiller Wrote:  see what they say. from what you say, I would probably check the rear derailleur alignment, replace the chain and cut it towards the short side.

Thank you, sounds like a plan
(06-25-2017, 10:08 PM)Foozen Wrote:  
(06-25-2017, 09:48 PM)painkiller Wrote:  see what they say. from what you say, I would probably check the rear derailleur alignment, replace the chain and cut it towards the short side.

Thank you, sounds like a plan

Update: the bike shop called and said it was fixed. When I went to pick it up I ask what was the issue and they said well... we didn't do much... what was done? It doesn't say on the ticket.. I said I'll be right back and rode around the block and it fell off again.. I had the ride it and it finally fell off for them. Now they ordered a new free hub.. I will update after that is replaced. Grrrrrrr
Interesting. On your dime or the shops dime? Thanks for the update
painkill Wrote:Interesting. On your dime or the shops dime? Thanks for the update

theirs
Fooz Wrote:
 painkille Wrote:Interesting. On your dime or the shops dime? Thanks for the update

theirs

Ok all fixed, it was the free hub causing the chain to jump when going from pedaling to coasting. who would have thunk it? Thanks for the help
Thanks for the update glad its fixed.So the tire was never part of the problem to begin with? I was under the impression you physically could see it hitting the tire. Some problems are hard to judge in a forum without having the bike in hand. The important thing people can learn from this is to not give up when you know something is not right. Sad but you have to keep pushing sometimes to get satisfaction.
(06-29-2017, 05:59 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Thanks for the update glad its fixed.So the tire was never part of the problem to begin with? I was under the impression you physically could see it hitting the tire. Some problems are hard to judge in a forum without having the bike in hand. The important thing people can learn from this is to not give up when you know something is not right. Sad but you have to keep pushing sometimes to get satisfaction.

It was hitting the tire, catching on the nobs, getting sucked in and derailing the chain but the free hub was causing the chain the slap when I went from pedaling to coasting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Bill