Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need help getting bike to work.
Hey guys, I am a newbie with bicycles and I dont know alot about them but I need help on getting a Bianchi racing bike to work. It is my uncle's old bike and it has ended up in my garage with the wheels, brakes, and chains unattached. There are also no nuts and bolts in sight, so i dont know how to deal with that problem either. Here are some pics. Any help is appreciated!
You'll need quick release skewers to fit the wheels: http://bikeride.com/remove-install-wheels/

You will also need some brakes and brake and gear cables.

And I've no idea what's going on with those handlebars. Big Grin

Nice frame though, I reckon early to mid 80s, and going by the stickers on the frame and forks, looks to be made of Columbus tubing. Well worth sorting out.
(08-09-2012, 11:01 PM)xerxes Wrote:  You'll need quick release skewers to fit the wheels: http://bikeride.com/remove-install-wheels/

You will also need some brakes and brake and gear cables.

And I've no idea what's going on with those handlebars. Big Grin

Nice frame though, I reckon early to mid 80s, and going by the stickers on the frame and forks, looks to be made of Columbus tubing. Well worth sorting out.

Thanks man. So how do i figure out what brakes and cables to buy??
cables are easy - if you are in the USA and black is OK; Bell brand at Wal-mart for less than $5- for a complete set: front and rear brakes and derailleurs. If you want white, any bicycle shop will sell to you for less than $20- Amazon is in between.

Brakes, once you have the wheels back on, you need to measure 'reach'. Scroll down in this article to the heading titled: "Reach"
http://sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html

As to what to purchase, Tektro dual pivots, probably "nutted" and I would guess (measure reach !!!) Tektro R536. I have R559 and R536 on two of my bikes, and I installed R556 on a friends bike - amazingly effective brakes at a very reasonable cost.

If one of us is close to you, we'd be happy to assist you.
Nigel
10-4 to all the above , but where do you put brake levers on that Handlebar? Man that is weird. IMO toss it.......or ebay. OR Maybe its worth a lot ask your uncle, find out if that's a average bike or a good one. Looks clean.

BTW that bike looks like a 58cm frame is that a good fit for you?

http://sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html#bianchi
Never Give Up!!!
Do a Google search for Bianchi Squadra and you will see what the bike should look like when complete. Lots of pictures out there on that model. Maybe that will help.

None of them have those handlebars though.
(08-10-2012, 01:44 AM)GeorgeET Wrote:  10-4 to all the above , but where do you put brake levers on that Handlebar? Man that is weird. IMO toss it.......or ebay. OR Maybe its worth a lot ask your uncle, find out if that's a average bike or a good one. Looks clean.

BTW that bike looks like a 58cm frame is that a good fit for you?

http://sheldonbrown.com/vrbn-a-f.html#bianchi

Hi George;

It is a hi-end bike; definitely worth putting some effort and money into to keep or flip.
Nigel
Have not seen much on Bianchi models. But some models are very nice. In looking on that handle bar it looks like it was taken out and reversed. Like the curved portion should be forward and the handles on top like triathelon set up.Very weird.
Squadra huh? Could not read that. Yeh for sure nice.
Never Give Up!!!
Those are old fashioned one-piece aerobars. In the photo they are rotated back (the bolt is loose and they slipped around? or rotated back for storage?) that's why they look so strange. Their purpose is to allow the cyclist to hyper extend horizontally to reduce wind resistance and achieve a more aerodynamic form. I'd say they were aftermarket on this bike. The brake levers go in the usual place as in normal drop down bars. Modern aerobars are actually extensions that clamp onto traditional bars. The aerobars on that bike could be cut off (tube cutter, angle grinder, hack saw) and holes plugged and taped over. I don't know whether that would compromise strength of what you are left with. I would just replace them with traditional drop bars. Aerobars have always been used by serious racing cyclists and triathletes. And status-seekers.

On the rest, check wheels for true, check spokes. Inspect and lube all bearings with fresh grease. If the bottom bracket is cup and cone (probably), overhaul that of course.

And have fun if you are project-minded!
Aero bars. Rotate the front of your bars in your pic about 50 degree up. Sorta kinda ends up like this.
[Image: Profile-2000-Aerobars.jpg]
[Image: th?id=I5043567863334921&pid=1.5]
Lets you ride all stretched out like this. I would snap my nutsticles.
In order for the top handles to be forward the U portion needs to be down, 90 degree rotation. Otherwise the bars will be in your face. The white marks probably indicate where the brake went. Ye its like puzzle. You can rotate them and cut like this.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...