Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Looking for some general advice on replacing chain, rear cassette
Hello Everyone!

New to the forum, and wasn't sure where to post this. I've got a Trek 7.2 urban type bike. It's about 3 years old, and apparently wear on the chain, derail, rear tire has kinda crept up on me.

My other Trek is similar, but a slightly better model. I got that one with the red badge warranty so I'm trying to get the trek shop to fix it. However, as USUAL I'm finding out the warranty is a gimmick and they are quoting me nearly $200 just to tune and fix up my 7.2 Sad I can't afford that now.

I'm pretty mechanical and fix cycles and cars, but never messed with bikes. I guess the main thing I need to do is see if I can replace the rear cassette, chain, and do the other adjustments and lubrication. I also need to replace the rear tire, but I guess that's another forum. When I brought it into Trek, they put some weight on the chain and looked at it briefly. Said something like "fully worn" and said I'd need at least a new chain and rear cassette.

I put pictures here of the crank , chain, cass so maybe you can see what I'm working with. *One thing I want to note is both of my Trek bikes seem to suffer from this annoying problem. Basically when I pedal or put any kind of force on the drive there is an annoying clicking noise. Believe it or not, this has been on the bikes almost since new. The bike shop never fixed it, and it's actually what drove me to bring both of them in for repair a few days ago. I can't see it, but it seems to be coming from the front crank. With wear, the noise gets worse and less intermittent.

Thanks much for any help, or even a pointer to a good tutorial on doing this work! *Also, any place where I could get these bike parts for the best price would be appreciated! Smile

[attachment=2903][attachment=2904]
That looks to be a 7.2 FX? Unless there is more to the situation than you are aware of, or than the dealership relayed to you... most likely you only need a new chain and cassette. If the drivetrain is worn badly enough, it will be obvious by comparing the teeth on the chainrings (front) to a newer bike. Extremely worn chainrings take a really long time but, I've seen almost everything. Unfortunately, on the 7.2 FX, the FC M-191 (is that correct?) crankset has riveted on rings and are not replaceable = need a new crankset. However, that should be $40 max. Crankset, cassette & chain should be under $80 unless they are trying to get you to upgrade.

As a Trek dealer, I would be interested in knowing more about your problem with the Red Shield plan. Just so you are aware, though, this is totally separate from the Warranty and is only valid for the amount of time (3 or 5 yrs) you purchased. If you bought a 3 yr plan and the bike is 3 years and 1 week old, the computer will kick it back.
Also, not all Trek dealerships are engaged in the Red Shield program. If this is not the dealership where you purchased the bike, this could be the case.
Let me know and I'll try to figure it out.

Rob
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Clicking noise - are the crank bolts tight? Could also be the pedals, or bottom bracket.

You can cassettes and chains from Amazon; in addition to the tools you'll need to do the job.

Watch Alex's videos; they are excellent.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...