Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

My Cassette is clunking on the 2 highest gears & the chain rubs the front derailleur
Exclamation 
As I pedal on the highest gears (the 2 smallest rings on my casette) I can hear a pretty loud clunking/clicking noise that I can't locate the source of.

The chain also drags against the front derailleur. You can hear both sounds in this video: [https://gofile.io/d/2MY8gS]
Unfortunately I couldn’t upload the clip here for some reason.

I just recently replaced the crank arms, gave the bottom bracket a clean and re-greased all the parts well with bike lube. I hope it's not a problem I've caused with my tinkering!

Any advice is massively appreciated.
PS I’m sorry if I haven’t adhered to any etiquette, I’m new to forum posting as well as bike maintenance!
(06-10-2020, 09:58 PM)Mabel Wrote:  As I pedal on the highest gears (the 2 smallest rings on my casette) I can hear a pretty loud clunking/clicking noise that I can't locate the source of.

The chain also drags against the front derailleur. You can hear both sounds in this video: [https://gofile.io/d/2MY8gS]
Unfortunately I couldn’t upload the clip here for some reason.

I just recently replaced the crank arms, gave the bottom bracket a clean and re-greased all the parts well with bike lube. I hope it's not a problem I've caused with my tinkering!

Any advice is massively appreciated.
PS I’m sorry if I haven’t adhered to any etiquette, I’m new to forum posting as well as bike maintenance!

Hi Mabel, and welcome1

A general "rule of thumb" is: if didn't make a noise previous to being worked on, then it probably is a result of the work that was done to it. Unfortunately, I could not view your video clip to hear what it was doing. As far as the chain "dragging" on the derailleur; is it rubbing against the side of the derailleur cage, or actually dragging on the bottom rear of the cage from excessive chain slack (could be caused by smaller chain ring(s))? If it's rubbing on the side of the cage you may have to readjust your limit screw(s) on the derailleur; simple task, and common if working on the front drive train. Since I don't know what you started with it's hard to make the call as to what may be the problem. Did you change the cranks just for length purposes (using the same chain rings you already had), and are they a different make from what you started with? It may be that your chain line is off if you used a different crankset (seems odd, but still possible). Regarding the bottom bracket "cleaning"; is it a sealed bearing/cartridge type BB, or caged/loose bearings with cups? Did you completely remove the BB, clean and repack with grease (caged/loose bearings only)? did you use any type of liquid/spray solvent to clean with? You might want to "reverse engineer", and put the original parts back on. If the same problem persists, at least you will know that it is not a result of the new parts; but resulted from whatever other work/cleaning you performed, especially if you made no adjustments to accommodate the new parts. I have done this before and found that my parts were not compatible to one another or sometimes to my frame geometry; new problem went away and old problem (reason for maintenance came back). Ended up putting old parts back on, and starting from scratch. I know I've asked a lot of questions, but it'll myself and others to give you a better answer to your problem.
Another "rule of thumb": if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Of course, I break that rule all the time myself messing around with different set-ups and trying to use parts that were "sitting around" gathering dust; just to try something out!
I'll see if I can get a viewing/hearing of your video and make a better determination of what your problem is.

Take care,
Jesper

PS. What type of bike and how old? I should have placed that question at the start.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...