Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Great 'hack'! XT cage on GRX 812 11sp derailleur to take 11-51T cassette
I spotted this great mod on YouTube yesterday.

In nutshell: " XT cage installed on a GRX 812 11-speed derailleur lets you shift through an 11-51T cassette"

I quickly priced it up in the UK. Via shrewd online shopping, you could do this with new parts for around £80. Less, obviously, if you have the 812 already on the shelf/buried in a box of crap. Seems like an excellent, easy upgrade to me.

Thoughts?
Yeah, wow. That might definitely help some people out.

I would have probably just opted for an over-sized cage. Which is basically the same answer.

Road drivetrains (since Ultegra gained the Shadow+ clutch) have been getting more MTB-like cassette friendly, but it still puzzles me since the pull ratio is supposed to be different. I hate dealing with inter-compatibility issues.
WOW. I have NOT this bike-mechanical savvy but this video is put together so well. I am tempted to open my drivetrain and try to put it all back together. I did not know that drivetrain could be taken apart in this fashion. Truly eye-opening..

(02-04-2024, 10:28 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Yeah, wow. That might definitely help some people out.

I would have probably just opted for an over-sized cage. Which is basically the same answer.

Road drivetrains (since Ultegra gained the Shadow+ clutch) have been getting more MTB-like cassette friendly, but it still puzzles me since the pull ratio is supposed to be different. I hate dealing with inter-compatibility issues.

Possibly Related Threads...