Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Removing grips
This is a totally newbie question, but how to you remove grips without damaging them?
Try to pry up the edge a bit with a long thin screwdriver and spray some windex or soapy water underneath. That will usually free them up enough so they can slide off the bar. Sometimes you really have to get it down all the way to break the bond.
Just to add DO NOT use WD-40 or other similar product!Leave a residue behind that you will wait forever for it to dry. Already had this problem once.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
even plain water will usually do the job.
Nigel
Rubbing alcohol works really well. Evaporates real fast, too
Canned compressed air works well as long as the grips were installed dry. Just slip the extended nozzle under the edge of the grip, let the air flow and wiggle the grip back and forth and pull off simultaneously. It might not come off in one smooth motion, so keep trying.
get a set of clamp-ons and you will thank yourself over and over again they are awesome
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-23-2011, 09:29 PM)painkiller Wrote:  get a set of clamp-ons and you will thank yourself over and over again they are awesome

Lock-on grips are the way to go. Bought a set for one of my bikes and now thats all I buy for any of my mountain bikes.
+1

Not only are they much easier to install, but they're much less likely to rotate than normal grips. Wouldn't use anything else now.
well if you have an air compressor and nozzle fitting just jam it under the grip and twist. if you gotta save the grips then thats the way to go. or if you have a propane torch you and heat them from a distance just enough to expand the rubber and twist them off. only problem is melting the grips if you're not careful. aside from muscling them off with water and soap thats the only way i know to get them on and off and i learned this from the best bike shop i knew growing up

steve
/http://www.intrepidequipment.com intrepid handcycle experts
Ok, it looks like I have to try and remove my grips to replace my gear shifter.

I don't have any special tools so it looks like the soapy water and brute force method for me.

Before I start, one question - will the old ones be able to go back on again? And how to they stick?

Thanks!
All you can do is pop em back on and see how they do. so if you use water or hairspray to put them back on with be sure to set them and do not touch for a day. If they twist after that, just mount them as you would a golf club grip. this is a one time use approach. they will stay in place for sure. Any pro shop would sell you a foot of grip tape. Before lock-on style grips were available i always mounted my grips like a golf club grips knowing i would have to cut them off and replace them if need be.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I have removed several grips with soapy water. They can be mounted again and (when dry) hold. After the bike had been left in the rain for a while they got loose again, but this was only to be expected.

@painkiller: How would you mount a handlebar grip "as you would a golf grip" and what has handlebar tape to do with that?
And please, stop shouting.
No not handle bar tape, golf club tape. Place that tape on the bar, soak with thinner then place on grip get in position then let dry for a day. this method is bomb proof no matter what the weather or riding conditions are. "race ready confidence"

http://www.golfsmith.com/browse.php?lcode=expps&N=0&Ntt=tape&image.x=0&image.y=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ntk=All
Thanks guys, they came off and went on again without hassle. Furniture polish to get off, hair spray to put on again :-)
while on the subject of grips: Have you ever wanted to put barends on but your grips were not open on each end? most people will use a razor blade and hack away at the end of the grip.this Very sloppy and could cause splitting later.
What i do is this: find a straight steel handlebar you no longer need, with a dremmel stone grind a bevel on the inside edge till you have created a single edged blade,"a cookie cutter of sorts"
wet and slip on the grip place on 2x4 and whack with hammer perfect everytime. cut the bar to about 10" and you have a new tool
You can also leave the grips on the handlbar as they are and tap the ends with a hammer. The handlebar will cut a perfect hole in the ends of the grips. I do this when mounting bar end mirrors and other accessories.
HCFR Cycling Team
Ride Safe...Ride Hard...Ride Daily
I have been riding dh for a while, but will lock ons work on a bike that has standard grips currently. (I still have the original grips on and am looking to expand.) Thanks
(09-09-2013, 01:24 PM)IdahoDHbiker Wrote:  I have been riding dh for a while, but will lock ons work on a bike that has standard grips currently. (I still have the original grips on and am looking to expand.) Thanks
most likely yes unless you have some strange skinny bar. If you have gripshifters they make lock-ons a bit shorter for that style too. just look around

Possibly Related Threads...