Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

Thoughts on 27.5" Pros and Cons
The suitability of 27.5-inch bicycle tyres can depend on various factors
- the type of riding you plan to do
- your personal preferences
- the bike you have.

Advantages of 27.5-inch tires:

1. Versatility: 27.5-inch tyres are often considered a middle ground between the smaller 26-inch tyres and the larger 29-inch tyres.
They can offer a balance between maneuverability and rollover capability, making them suitable for a wide range of riding styles and terrains.

2. Traction: Compared to smaller tyres, 27.5-inch tyres have a larger contact patch with the ground, which can provide better traction, especially in loose or slippery conditions.

3. Obstacle clearance: Larger tires like the 27.5-inch can roll over obstacles more easily than smaller tires, which can be beneficial in rough or rocky terrains.

Disadvantages of 27.5-inch tires:

1. Weight: Larger tyres, like the 27.5-inch, are typically heavier than smaller tyres, which can make your bike feel slower and more sluggish, especially when climbing hills.

2. Acceleration: Large tyres can be slower to accelerate than smaller tyres due to their increased weight and rotational mass.

3. Compatibility: Not all bikes are designed to accommodate 27.5-inch tyres, so it's essential to check whether your bike has enough clearance before making the switch.

Just some ideas, I thought I'd put out there
27.5" give you more acceleration, but make maintaining cadence a little more effort than 29".

The larger 29" will also roll over objects easier and absorb more shock.

This is mainly why people have shifted towards 29" and prefer it.

If you're a pump track type of person, then you'll prefer the acceleration. This include riding trails that are like pump tracks.
(06-25-2024, 12:49 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  27.5" give you more acceleration, but make maintaining cadence a little more effort than 29".

The larger 29" will also roll over objects easier and absorb more shock.

This is mainly why people have shifted towards 29" and prefer it.

If you're a pump track type of person, then you'll prefer the acceleration. This include riding trails that are like pump tracks.

Do you think 27.5" will eventually fade away?
@Flowrider I don't think 27.5" wheels and tires will fade away, because they have their clear advantages despite the recent popularity of the 29er.

Many brands still offer frame-size-specific wheels and tires, so you'll see smaller frame sizes come with 27.5" wheels and larger frame sizes come with 29" wheels.

Plus, I think it also depends on what type of a rider you are and what style of riding you prefer. Do you like the acceleration, nimbleness, and maneuverability of 27.5" wheels or the speed, stability, and rollover ability of 29" wheels? I think these are some preferences that you develop as you gain experience on the trails.
(06-26-2024, 03:33 AM)Dusan Wrote:  @Flowrider I don't think 27.5" wheels and tires will fade away, because they have their clear advantages despite the recent popularity of the 29er.

Many brands still offer frame-size-specific wheels and tires, so you'll see smaller frame sizes come with 27.5" wheels and larger frame sizes come with 29" wheels.

Plus, I think it also depends on what type of a rider you are and what style of riding you prefer. Do you like the acceleration, nimbleness, and maneuverability of 27.5" wheels or the speed, stability, and rollover ability of 29" wheels? I think these are some preferences that you develop as you gain experience on the trails.

@Dusan Thanks for that. It's an interesting topic as in the groups I ride in, and we're not high technical riders, not many feel there is a difference in 1.5". Probably as you say , the more you ride the more you'll get the difference. Maybe 27.5" upfront and 29" on the back?
@Flowrider You definitely notice more nuances the more you ride, as with any other aspect of cycling.

A lot more common setup is 29" upfront and 27.5" on the back, also known as a "mullet" or "mixed-wheel" setup. This way, you get the improved rollover ability of 29" wheels and the playfulness and improved maneuverability of 27.5" wheels.
Why choose between 27.5" and 29" when you can get both as a mullet setup? Haha you can get all the benefits of both setups with minimal losses unless you're in an XC race, there are a few cons to running a mullet setup
I like smaller tires because from experience on trails using larger tires substantially decreases acceleration specially when you have 15 feet of a patch where you want to quickly accelerate towards a ramp. I think for MTB the 26" is the sweet spot for me
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll pass that on to my mate. He is old school so I'm guessing will go 29 and 26.
(07-01-2024, 05:43 PM)Flowrider Wrote:  Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll pass that on to my mate. He is old school so I'm guessing will go 29 and 26.

Problem with 26 inch is the availability of tire choices. I remember Gary Fisher created a bike which has 29 front and 26 rear. It didn't click so they dumped it.

Possibly Related Threads...