Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the September Giveaway to Win the Luckeep X1 Pro ebike

Tubeless vs. tubes: What are the pros and cons for trail riding?
Love to read your thoughts on this!

Tubeless and tube-type tires each have their advantages and disadvantages, especially when it comes to trail riding.

Some thoughts

Pros of tubeless tyres:
1. Puncture resistance: Tubeless tyres are generally more resistant to punctures than tube-type tyres. In the event of a puncture, the sealant inside the tubeless tire can often seal the hole automatically, allowing you to continue riding without having to stop and fix a flat.

2. Lower rolling resistance: Tubeless tires can be run at lower pressures than tube-type tires without the risk of pinch flats. This can provide better traction and a smoother ride on rough trails.

3. Weight savings: Tubeless tires can be lighter than tube-type tires, as they don't require an inner tube. This can make your bike feel more responsive and easier to handle on the trail.

Cons of tubeless tires:

1. Initial setup: Setting up tubeless tires can be more complicated and time-consuming than setting up tube-type tires. It may require special tools, sealant, and careful attention to ensure a proper seal.

2. Maintenance: Tubeless tires require regular maintenance, such as checking and topping up the sealant to ensure proper puncture protection.

3. Compatibility: Not all rims and tires are designed for tubeless use, so it's essential to check compatibility before making the switch.

Pros of tubes:

1. Simplicity: Tube-type tires are generally easier to set up and maintain than tubeless tires. They don't require sealant or special tools, and fixing a flat can be as simple as replacing the inner tube.

2. Cost: Tube-type tires can be less expensive than tubeless tires, especially if you already have a set of tube-compatible rims and tires.

3. Availability: Inner tubes are widely available and come in a range of sizes and types, making it easy to find a replacement if needed.

Cons of tubes

1. Puncture risk: Tube-type tyres are more susceptible to punctures than tubeless tyres, especially when running lower tyre pressures.

2. Weight: Tube-type tires can be heavier than tubeless tires due to the added weight of the inner tube.

3. Rolling resistance: Tube-type tires may have higher rolling resistance than tubeless tires, especially when running lower tire pressures.
Tubeless is more of a luxury riding option in my opinion.

It's much more expensive, and higher maintenance, but is sought after primarily for the weight that it saves; and the puncture protection tech boasted by good sealant.
If you have to keep "topping up" the sealant then where does it go to? If the sealant keeps being "topped up" and the previous sealant is not lost then those wheels are going to get pretty heavy which negates any weight savings. What happens if sealant does not actually seal a puncture? Are you carrying a spare tire and sealant up the mountain trail? Makes no sense. I just do not get it when I hear about non-competition riders getting concerned about rollung resistance and all the other technical hype. Are you going to be cycling for 8 or more hrs a day? Are you trail touring, bikepacking, etc. for multiple days?
Makes me wonder how I and others ever survived the last 50 years without all this stuff, including all of the electronics people "need" to carry. I guess people get lost easier nowadays, and do not know how far they are riding.
You can buy puncture resistant clinchers, puncture resistant strips, TPU inner tubes for weight savings. You can buy "puncture proof" tubes. Cost is always a personal thing, but there is usually a reasonable combination that will fit the budget.
If you are in competition and the odds are in your favor to use certain equipment then the option is clear. If just personal "casual" riding then all options are on the table,
and you would base your decision on priorites, personal needs, and budget.

Okay, let me stop since my heart rate monitor is flashing red and beeping, while my gps shows me the way to the kitchen. I'll need to put on my ridiculous "ON" shoes to prevent ankle strain while heading there.
Jeez, just pump up the old tires and ride with a little freedom from all the excess hype. Sorry, I am old and in the way of technology that barely improves the experience of cycling. Press-in BBs here I come. Not!
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(06-25-2024, 07:39 PM)Jesper Wrote:  If you have to keep "topping up" the sealant then where does it go to? If the sealant keeps being "topped up" and the previous sealant is not lost then those wheels are going to get pretty heavy which negates any weight savings. What happens if sealant does not actually seal a puncture? Are you carrying a spare tire and sealant up the mountain trail? Makes no sense. I just do not get it when I hear about non-competition riders getting concerned about rollung resistance and all the other technical hype. Are you going to be cycling for 8 or more hrs a day? Are you trail touring, bikepacking, etc. for multiple days?
Makes me wonder how I and others ever survived the last 50 years without all this stuff, including all of the electronics people "need" to carry. I guess people get lost easier nowadays, and do not know how far they are riding.
You can buy puncture resistant clinchers, puncture resistant strips, TPU inner tubes for weight savings. You can buy "puncture proof" tubes. Cost is always a personal thing, but there is usually a reasonable combination that will fit the budget.
If you are in competition and the odds are in your favor to use certain equipment then the option is clear. If just personal "casual" riding then all options are on the table,

Okay, let me stop since my heart rate monitor is flashing red and beeping, while my gps shows me the way to the kitchen. I'll need to put on my ridiculous "ON" shoes to prevent ankle strain while heading there.
Jeez, just pump up the old tires and ride with a little freedom from all the excess hype. Sorry, I am old and in the way of technology that barely improves the experience of cycling. Press-in BBs here I come. Not!

I really love reading what you have to share here Jesper! Tubeless for MTB is great because it lets you lower PSI thus getting more grip, which in turn makes you go faster and safer, this is a must in modern day mountain biking. I really do get what you're saying when it comes to roadbiking though, tubeless does feel like an unecessary luxury in terms of road biking

(06-25-2024, 10:44 PM)meamoantonio Wrote:  
(06-25-2024, 07:39 PM)Jesper Wrote:  If you have to keep "topping up" the sealant then where does it go to? If the sealant keeps being "topped up" and the previous sealant is not lost then those wheels are going to get pretty heavy which negates any weight savings. What happens if sealant does not actually seal a puncture? Are you carrying a spare tire and sealant up the mountain trail? Makes no sense. I just do not get it when I hear about non-competition riders getting concerned about rollung resistance and all the other technical hype. Are you going to be cycling for 8 or more hrs a day? Are you trail touring, bikepacking, etc. for multiple days?

I really love reading what you have to share here Jesper! Tubeless for MTB is great because it lets you lower PSI thus getting more grip, which in turn makes you go faster and safer, this is a must in modern day mountain biking. I really do get what you're saying when it comes to roadbiking though, tubeless does feel like an unecessary luxury in terms of road biking

I forgot to amswer your question about why top up haha the sealant evaporates and/or dries up against the side wall of the tire, so you have to top up every 6 months to make sure that when you suffer a flat you still get the stopping power, after a year or two, you have to clean your tires sidewalls because of the build up in the side wall, its very feasible for serious cyclists who clock in about 10,000kms per year though since they can skip the cleaning step because they have to replace their tires anyway by the time they'll have to clean sealant off the sidewalls

Hope it helps
Fantastic feedback guys! A lot to take in there.

Thanks heaps Smile
@Flowrider thanks for the infi regarding sealant. I was being a bit cheeky in my comments, but the sealant thing kind of threw me off. So that can explain the regular air loss via sealant starting to dry up inside causing loss of seal integrity of the tire to the rim.
I may be mistaken, but aren't there fully sealed clinchers that can be used on standard rims? That would seem like the best of both worlds; no mess, lighterweight, and less rolling resistance. We do have those in tubular road tires, but they still require gluing to the rim itself just like the old style sew-ups.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS

Possibly Related Threads...