Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take part in the September Giveaway for Vvolt Sirius E-bike valued at $2999

Has anyone used tubeless tires without sealant?
One of the problems with tubeless tires is the sealant can make a mess when you remove the tire, either to replace it, or because of a large puncture that wont seal with the sealant. I don't want to deal with a mess like that.

While I have no proof, I also suspect some brands or sealant may cause deterioration of the tire.

When tubeless tires are fitted to cars and trucks, it is not normal practice to add sealant.

Do tubeless bicycle tires really need sealant?

Has anyone used tubeless tires without sealant? If so, how did it go?
(09-16-2022, 04:39 AM)ichitan Wrote:  One of the problems with tubeless tires is the sealant can make a mess when you remove the tire, either to replace it, or because of a large puncture that wont seal with the sealant. I don't want to deal with a mess like that.

While I have no proof, I also suspect some brands or sealant may cause deterioration of the tire.

When tubeless tires are fitted to cars and trucks, it is not normal practice to add sealant.

Do tubeless bicycle tires really need sealant?

Has anyone used tubeless tires without sealant? If so, how did it go?

Unfortunately, you need sealant (and additional sealant over time).
The mess and more frequent pressure checks are a couple drawbacks.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
If I did not use sealant, what should I expect to happen?
(09-22-2022, 02:38 PM)ichitan Wrote:  If I did not use sealant, what should I expect to happen?

They won't hold air pressure for very long. How long? I don't know; probably depends on the tire and pressure.
Take care,
Jesper

AC Repair
Even if there are no leaks in the rim, and no leaks from the bead, from what you are saying, it seems the air seeps through the rubber. Is that right?
(09-24-2022, 03:06 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Even if there are no leaks in the rim, and no leaks from the bead, from what you are saying, it seems the air seeps through the rubber. Is that right?

Apparently so. Everyone I know who has used tubeless has to air more often than I do with regular inner tube tires. That is riding with higher pressure tires on road and gravel bikes; I don't know about riding with lower pressure mtb tires. Maybe it has been improved over the last couple of years. I have one set of tubeless wheels, but I don't use them; they just happened to be on a bike I bought. I think they were Tufos.
I have enough fun with tubulars and glue.
Take care,
Jesper

It would be an interesting experiment to coat the entire inside of a tubeless tire with silicone sealer, and see what that does.

Someone may think of something else to coat the inside of a tubeless tire. Whatever is used needs to be flexible like rubber.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post