Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Has anyone used tubeless tires without sealant?
One of the problems with tubeless tires is the sealant can make a mess when you remove the tire, either to replace it, or because of a large puncture that wont seal with the sealant. I don't want to deal with a mess like that.

While I have no proof, I also suspect some brands or sealant may cause deterioration of the tire.

When tubeless tires are fitted to cars and trucks, it is not normal practice to add sealant.

Do tubeless bicycle tires really need sealant?

Has anyone used tubeless tires without sealant? If so, how did it go?
(09-16-2022, 04:39 AM)ichitan Wrote:  One of the problems with tubeless tires is the sealant can make a mess when you remove the tire, either to replace it, or because of a large puncture that wont seal with the sealant. I don't want to deal with a mess like that.

While I have no proof, I also suspect some brands or sealant may cause deterioration of the tire.

When tubeless tires are fitted to cars and trucks, it is not normal practice to add sealant.

Unfortunately, you need sealant (and additional sealant over time).
The mess and more frequent pressure checks are a couple drawbacks.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
If I did not use sealant, what should I expect to happen?
(09-22-2022, 02:38 PM)ichitan Wrote:  If I did not use sealant, what should I expect to happen?

They won't hold air pressure for very long. How long? I don't know; probably depends on the tire and pressure.
Take care,
Jesper

AC Repair
Even if there are no leaks in the rim, and no leaks from the bead, from what you are saying, it seems the air seeps through the rubber. Is that right?
(09-24-2022, 03:06 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Even if there are no leaks in the rim, and no leaks from the bead, from what you are saying, it seems the air seeps through the rubber. Is that right?

Apparently so. Everyone I know who has used tubeless has to air more often than I do with regular inner tube tires. That is riding with higher pressure tires on road and gravel bikes; I don't know about riding with lower pressure mtb tires. Maybe it has been improved over the last couple of years. I have one set of tubeless wheels, but I don't use them; they just happened to be on a bike I bought. I think they were Tufos.
I have enough fun with tubulars and glue.
Take care,
Jesper

It would be an interesting experiment to coat the entire inside of a tubeless tire with silicone sealer, and see what that does.

Someone may think of something else to coat the inside of a tubeless tire. Whatever is used needs to be flexible like rubber.
(09-16-2022, 04:39 AM)ichitan Wrote:  One of the problems with tubeless tires is the sealant can make a mess when you remove the tire, either to replace it, or because of a large puncture that wont seal with the sealant. I don't want to deal with a mess like that.

So, I've actually used tubeless tires on my folding bike (from tube to tubeless). I did not use a sealant for about a month because of the regular fills and mess, but I had to fill air at the end of every 8-10 days. If I didn't the pressure would be so low, I would get uncomfortable riding it.

My advise: Use a sealant whenever you can and soon enough you'll get used to it. All cyclists do lol.
(09-24-2022, 03:21 PM)ichitan Wrote:  It would be an interesting experiment to coat the entire inside of a tubeless tire with silicone sealer, and see what that does.

Someone may think of something else to coat the inside of a tubeless tire. Whatever is used needs to be flexible like rubber.

I think a coating may throw off the balance since it may be a heavier coat from one place to another. I've only used sealant on my MTB and I think it distributes the seal evenly during the ride and then to where it's needed during a punctures, so, no I don't think that would be a good idea. You are wasting the sealant to an area where it is not needed. Good idea though. I'm trying to decide if it's worth going Tubeless.

(09-20-2022, 02:14 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Do you also have to seal or glue the tire to the wheel? More of a mess? Does it seal like a clincher? How difficult is it to replace a tire? I've noticed when shopping for wheelsets they say Tubeless ready. Does that mean you can use tubed or Tubeless? I've only used Tubeless with slime in my mountain biking days.

.txt   www.ins.txt (Size: 63 bytes / Downloads: 9)
(12-17-2022, 12:56 PM)SPINMAN Wrote:  
(09-24-2022, 03:21 PM)ichitan Wrote:  It would be an interesting experiment to coat the entire inside of a tubeless tire with silicone sealer, and see what that does.

I think a coating may throw off the balance since it may be a heavier coat from one place to another. I've only used sealant on my MTB and I think it distributes the seal evenly during the ride and then to where it's needed during a punctures, so, no I don't think that would be a good idea. You are wasting the sealant to an area where it is not needed. Good idea though. I'm trying to decide if it's worth going Tubeless.

(09-20-2022, 02:14 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Do you also have to seal or glue the tire to the wheel? More of a mess? Does it seal like a clincher? How difficult is it to replace a tire? I've noticed when shopping for wheelsets they say Tubeless ready. Does that mean you can use tubed or Tubeless? I've only used Tubeless with slime in my mountain biking days.

Here's a good reason to use Tubeless!
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjM8gvyICZc/?igshid=ZmVmZTY5ZGE=
(09-24-2022, 03:06 AM)ichitan Wrote:  Even if there are no leaks in the rim, and no leaks from the bead, from what you are saying, it seems the air seeps through the rubber. Is that right?

Yes, just through osmosis, air will move out of tubed tires as well as Tubeless. I add air to my tubed tires every week. Goes down from 110psi.
I don't know how fast Tubeless go down. I'm thinking of switching.

You can seal the inside of your tire, but the Tubeless tire sealer is designed to immediately go to a puncture and seal it. Silicone will just stay where you put it and will not migrate to the puncture. I don't think it will work
(03-21-2023, 06:49 AM)SPINMAN Wrote:  

You can seal the inside of your tire, but the Tubeless tire sealer is designed to immediately go to a puncture and seal it. Silicone will just stay where you put it and will not migrate to the puncture. I don't think it will work

I have not done it. It is just an idea someone could experiment with.

I am thinking about using silicone sealer to reduce seepage, so the tire holds its pressure longer, not to remain liquid and flow to punctures.

If silicone sealer did result in the tire holding its pressure longer, you could carry a spare tire and when a puncture occurred, swap the tire.

Then when you got home, you could coat the inside of the puncture with silicone sealer, to stop the leak. Expect silicone sealer to take some time to set. It would not be as quick as a regular patch. After the silicone sealer sets, this patched tire could then become your spare.
(03-21-2023, 10:33 AM)ichitan Wrote:  

I am thinking about using silicone sealer to reduce seepage, so the tire holds its pressure longer, not to remain liquid and flow to punctures.

If silicone sealer did result in the tire holding its pressure longer, you could carry a spare tire and when a puncture occurred, swap the tire.

Then when you got home, you could coat the inside of the puncture with silicone sealer, to stop the leak. Expect silicone sealer to take some time to set. It would not be as quick as a regular patch. After the silicone sealer sets, this patched tire could then become your spare.

(03-21-2023, 01:56 PM)Richard Dinwiddi Wrote:  
(03-21-2023, 10:33 AM)ichitan Wrote:  

Always hated having to pump up tires regularly, interesting
I have had an excellent experience with Stans No Tubes Race Sealant. It works better than the regular stans and I find I do not need to air often and do not have any leaks or punctures. I ride pretty aggressive backcountry MTB trails and have never suffered a puncture. I have not had a great time with other sealants, and don't even bother now. Stans race 1 time a year and the bike is never flat. I could probably refill it more often but hey, no leaks is no leaks.

I also run CushCore inserts, and good quality Maxxis tires, with a DD Maxxis on the back.

I find tubeless setups rely heavily on the components, Tubeless compatible rims properly sized to the tire, tires with a high thread count intended for Tubeless, and well-applied rim tape (I use gorilla with good results but cleaning is a chore, but I don't often retape my rims) and careful install of the tire so as not to mess up the rim tape. When these elements are not present its easy to have problems, I have never had a hard time converting a bike to tubeless.

For me the combo of tubeless with a tire insert allows me to run very low tire pressure 15-22psi without any fear of punctures or loss of performance in cornering.

I personally don't see why you would want to run tubeless with no sealant, it seems you just lose the positive aspects of the conversion.
Enjoy the Ride!
Scott
I have never used a tubeless tire. Are all clincher rims compatible with tubeless tires, or must you use a special rim for them? If I need a special rim then that means rebuilding the wheel or buying a new wheelset which does not appeal to me because of the cost, and extra parts not being used. Are tubeless tires comparable in price to the same grade clincher including the price of an inner tube?

Possibly Related Threads...