Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Is it, uh, ugly? My wife is scolding me!
Photo 
My wife and I recently disagreed about an e-bike, she thought the e-bike was ugly, but I insisted on its unassuming exterior design.
She thinks I've degenerated to the point of having no aesthetics!
So, what do you think?

Attached Files Image(s)

I think I have to agree with her, bit I can't really put a finger on why it doesnt appeal to me. Maybe because there isnt a top tube? Fat tires not used on snow? Seat stays not present? It looks like its trying to look modern and futuristic by ommitting some parts that traditionally are put on the bike but ends up looking like an Old Japanese bike with modern finishes.
Are you sure it's not a fat baby?

(01-17-2024, 09:55 PM)meamoantonio Wrote:  I think I have to agree with her, bit I can't really put a finger on why it doesnt appeal to me. Maybe because there isnt a top tube? Fat tires not used on snow? Seat stays not present? It looks like its trying to look modern and futuristic by ommitting some parts that traditionally are put on the bike but ends up looking like an Old Japanese bike with modern finishes.

Are you sure it's not a fat tire?
Looks like an ebike. I hope this is not a marketing effort to receive feedback for product development.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(01-17-2024, 11:18 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Looks like an ebike. I hope this is not a marketing effort to receive feedback for product development.

I'm interested in every e-bike brand that has a quirky appearance Cool
(01-18-2024, 03:04 AM)Jacky Zhou Wrote:  
(01-17-2024, 11:18 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Looks like an ebike. I hope this is not a marketing effort to receive feedback for product development.

It's not that "quirky" if that is a rear suspension. Similar to mountain and other full suspension bikes except the battery pack down tube. Just as "ugly" as most mtb's; utilitarian. Fat tires are overkill and an energy drain due to weight and rolling resistance. Also a drain on your wallet when replacing.
Take care,
Jesper

I agree, fat tires can be an energy drain and have a lot of rolling resistance, but they have a huge plus point. Thanks to my fat bike, I've made so many friends who were just scary strangers before I got to know them. This guy even offered to exchange his horse in return for my bike. And, this is in the middle of the mountains in Ecuador.. :-)

Same story here in India. This guy was so curious about my fat bike, which cost half of what his cost him. My bike is definitely quirky and forces many to wonder (and ask), 'Where's the battery/motor?'.. :-)

The fat tires are not only a drain on your wallet but also on the brain. I was so worried about not finding a replacement that I carried one with me while biking in South America. It's been hard to find a good one here in India.

(01-18-2024, 03:36 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(01-18-2024, 03:04 AM)Jacky Zhou Wrote:  

It's not that "quirky" if that is a rear suspension. Similar to mountain and other full suspension bikes except the battery pack down tube. Just as "ugly" as most mtb's; utilitarian. Fat tires are overkill and an energy drain due to weight and rolling resistance. Also a drain on your wallet when replacing.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm not talking about fat tire bikes in general. I'm talking about a fat tire ebike for city use as shown in the photo; something I could easily do on a gravel bike or any mtb (without suspension). These bikes are not be marketed to folks like yourself, nor would they serve any purpose for long distance unless you carried a solar charger or a dynamo. Plus, you would not be able to pedal that thing for very long without any power unless you were in incredible condition, which the vast majority of ebike owners are not. My challenge: an average ebike owner who can finish a 125 mile ride using their bike without recharging versus me on a bicycle. I will get to the destination first; ebiker might never make it; and I guarantee they will not be pedalling without power for very long.

Girish, you cycle; ebikers ride!
Take care,
Jesper

Thanks, Jesper for that clarification..:-)

I agree with you that we are trying to cycle while many e-bikers are out for a ride. I have always wondered how they will deal with a flat or a mechanical breakdown. Or even a steep hill. Many times, we had to get off the bike and push the bike up the steep section.

I was aghast when I saw a group of e-mountain bikers up at some 10.000 or so height in Colombia. I was happy for them but very curious about how they would deal with any mechanical issue or even push up a steep section.

During 9 months on that fat bike in South America, I had flat a couple of times. I dragged or lifted the wheel and pushed the bike. I do not know how one can do that with an e-bike.

Some people even asked why didn't I ride an e-bike during my bikepacking/touring trip. I had to explain all the reasons why it wouldn't work (for me). I am sure some will make it work but I still have the energy/capability to cycle so why (assist)ride?

(01-18-2024, 10:44 AM)Jesper Wrote:  I'm not talking about fat tire bikes in general. I'm talking about a fat tire ebike for city use as shown in the photo; something I could easily do on a gravel bike or any mtb (without suspension). These bikes are not be marketed to folks like yourself, nor would they serve any purpose for long distance unless you carried a solar charger or a dynamo. Plus, you would not be able to pedal that thing for very long without any power unless you were in incredible condition, which the vast majority of ebike owners are not. My challenge: an average ebike owner who can finish a 125 mile ride using their bike without recharging versus me on a bicycle. I will get to the destination first; ebiker might never make it; and I guarantee they will not be pedalling without power for very long.

Girish, you cycle; ebikers ride!
Cant you add a rear rack, some rear lights and mud guards? Big Grin
Hello Talha, were you referring to me?

If so, i tried but wasn't able to add a rear rack to my bike due to lack of eyelets. I do have rear lights and mudguard though..:-)

[hello Talhaquote='Talha' pid='47663' dateline='1706358541']
Cant you add a rear rack, some rear lights and mud guards? Big Grin
[/quote]
(01-28-2024, 09:05 AM)GirishH Wrote:  i tried but wasn't able to add a rear rack to my bike due to lack of eyelets.

Try one like this. It clamps around the seat post and seat stays. The spacing is wider than a 4 inch tire.

Or you might find something similar, or even make your own, which clamps to the bike in a similar way.

With this fat bike I made my own seat suspension. I made the clamp for the front of the carrier rack from a piece of sheet steel. The clamp could be used without the seat suspension. I made the rear rack by joining commonly available rear racks together.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8026.html

Here is a another rack I made by welding 3 commonly available racks together.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8355.html
Thank you, Ichitan. I had seen these online but I'm glad that I did not give them a try. (I had Ortlieb panniers but just skipped the rear rack part and went with a saddlebag).

Firstly, it would have added some weight to my already close to 50-lbs packed box. When I travel internationally, I box my bike along with my gear (tent, sleeping bag, and such). I am always on the 50-lb line. So, I know with a rack and panniers, I would have to pay more.

Secondly, I might carry more than I need if I have pannier space... :-( I have no self-control and would pack more than necessary and needed stuff... :-( So, skipping the rack and panniers has been a godsend.

If anything, I might borrow the design of the rack that attaches to the seat-post as I am still working on support for my saddlebag.

(01-28-2024, 10:54 PM)ichitan Wrote:  
(01-28-2024, 09:05 AM)GirishH Wrote:  i tried but wasn't able to add a rear rack to my bike due to lack of eyelets.

Try one like this. It clamps around the seat post and seat stays. The spacing is wider than a 4 inch tire.

Or you might find something similar, or even make your own, which clamps to the bike in a similar way.

With this fat bike I made my own seat suspension. I made the clamp for the front of the carrier rack from a piece of sheet steel. The clamp could be used without the seat suspension. I made the rear rack by joining commonly available rear racks together.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8026.html

Here is a another rack I made by welding 3 commonly available racks together.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8355.html
(01-30-2024, 07:41 PM)GirishH Wrote:  I am still working on support for my saddlebag.

In the future I might be riding a full suspension mountain bike. I am thinking about how to carry things on the back.

The key is to make it out of something lightweight. I may use bamboo or aluminum.

I have had some radical ideas. For example, using a tennis racquet.
Exactly my thinking and even my DIY setup in Ecuador. I found a wire hanger (clothes) that went around the seat post and supported the saddlebag from below. But because the hanger wasn't anchored rigidly, it didn't provide much support. So, I have been imagining modifying that idea. My saddlebag already came with two sets of supports, one to the seat post while the second attaches to the saddle. I have added a few more, like a pair of laces that tie the saddlebag tighter and higher to the saddle. Meanwhile, a buckle a friend attached to the saddle helps me cinch the saddlebag closer to the saddle with the help of a contraption/net.

So, I need more of an aluminum or wire basket that lifts/supports the bag from below.

Let me draw a diagram and add pictures.

(01-31-2024, 06:15 AM)ichitan Wrote:  
(01-30-2024, 07:41 PM)GirishH Wrote:  I am still working on support for my saddlebag.

In the future I might be riding a full suspension mountain bike. I am thinking about how to carry things on the back.

The key is to make it out of something lightweight. I may use bamboo or aluminum.

I have had some radical ideas. For example, using a tennis racquet.
It's a bit bulky, but it looks like the design attempted to spare as much bulk as possible.

Not much that can be done other than keep it out of sight.

As long as you're happy with it, I think you should be able to communicate things with her successfully as long as you take reasonable, compassionate approach.
(01-18-2024, 03:04 AM)Jacky Zhou Wrote:  I'm interested in every e-bike brand that has a quirky appearance Cool

What are some other quirky brands you're interested in?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Last Post: JohnV