Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Help me choose my bike(Dilemma)
I am in the process of buying a new bike. I am 5'11'' or 181cm. My inseam is 86cm or 34''. Here are the two options. Both bikes are used and found on the local classifieds. Both bike pictures are attached below.    

1. Scott Foil 15 2012
-Size Large
-Ultegra Di2 6750
-Basic Mavic Alloy rims
-1500$ CAD

2. Cannondale SuperSIx Evo 2013
-Size medium 54cm
-Ultegra 6800 2x11s
-Dura-ace C50 wheelset
-1700$ CAD

The main dilemma is size. Should I get a 56cm because of my longer legs or a 54 for the reach to be more confortable for me. The second dilemma is di2 or carbon wheelset.

Thanks

I personally find that fit is more about the top tube length; the amount the body stretches forward in the triangle it forms with the bike; rather than it is the amount your legs reach the pedals. This is determined by the crankarm length more so—and the Q factor.

Reminder that pros tend to use smaller frames, then supplement with a longer stem to adjust the reach.

You'd imagine this is to create a tighter, more compact package with the bike and the body, to maximize crunch output.

I'm 5'7" and recently acquired a 50cm frame to do just this. It's not built yet so I can't provide any more insight at the moment.
Both of those frames are geared to rather extreme road riding. Do you already ride a bike with similar geometry and it works for you? That Scott looks slammed, whereas the Cannondale looks like you could drop the bars a bit if you needed to.

For most people, a smaller frame + suitable adjustments to saddle and cockpit offers more options vs a bigger frame. I would always go for the correct reach and raise the saddle to suit your legs (but I'm no bike fit expert). Shorter tt + longer stem is invariably superior to long tt + too-short stem.
Hello Tomtom1988, why don't you try riding these bikes before deciding? That might help you. You can definitely adjust the seat, handle height, and handle angle to make the bike more comfortable. But again, try and see which one you like. And, please let us know what you end up going for..:-) Safe cycling.
I’m 5’10 with 32” inseam and I almost always go for a large because otherwise the bike just feels to small and crunched. I’ve rode smaller bikes where my knee will hit the bars when you’re turning or something but that’s just my preference. Also if you’re road biking it might be nicer to have more space as you don’t get on and off as much compared to a Mtb or something
Anyone buying a bike similar to these, check that it does not have one of the cranksets which fails.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8594.html
(09-02-2023, 05:08 PM)Tomtom1988 Wrote:  I am in the process of buying a new bike. I am 5'11'' or 181cm. My inseam is 86cm or 34''. Here are the two options. Both bikes are used and found on the local classifieds. Both bike pictures are attached below.

1. Scott Foil 15 2012
-Size Large
-Ultegra Di2 6750
-Basic Mavic Alloy rims
-1500$ CAD

2. Cannondale SuperSIx Evo 2013
-Size medium 54cm
-Ultegra 6800 2x11s
-Dura-ace C50 wheelset
-1700$ CAD

The main dilemma is size. Should I get a 56cm because of my longer legs or a 54 for the reach to be more confortable for me. The second dilemma is di2 or carbon wheelset.

Thanks

Go for the Scott Foil, itll even be much more relaxed since itll have a higher stack versus the medium SuperSix Evo,comfort is actually a balance of reach and stack and not just reach
One other thing to add, generally, when it comes to buy bikes is to ignore manufacturers' sizing labels (small, medium, large, etc).

There are no industry standards for these terms. They're probably worse than useless, as they tend to give people the wrong ideas about bike sizing/fit.

Geometry, particularly things like reach and stack, are far more important than alleged frame sizes. Of course, unless you've established the geo that suits you, through pro bike fit or accident/experience, it's difficult to know what geo works for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-19-2022, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Criminal

09-10-2011, 01:57 PM
Last Post: GeorgeET

05-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Last Post: Painkiller