Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Unknown brand, should I buy or not?
    Hi All.

I was wondering if any of you have seen this bike before? The price is right in my budget, i'm considering buying this brand new bike or an older (way older) reliable bike, peugot, trek, or something similar.

Now im not an avid biker, I'll be mainly using to go from and to work (about 5 km ride one way). So I don't need something over the top.

I would rather have something new that looks good but just wondering what your thoughts are on this particular brand/bike.

Thanks,
hi Ousama!
i have never heard of such a brand, to be honest. steel frame and 19kg - is that its weight? :o sounds frightening!
could you please provide more information on the bike's components? google does not provide much info on this model.

p.s.
how is the weather in your area?
@Ousama Hraki

Welcome!

The bike in question is more than likely a Chinese made "road bike". It is very heavy for a 26" wheel bike even for a steel bike. It probably has very low end components even for Shimano. I would stay clear of this bicycle until you see real world reviews from actual owners that have had the bike for a few months (6+) or more. Do not base your research on owners who just bought one, but who have hardly used it, unless it relates to missing and/or broken parts.
I am sure you can find a very good used bike (near to new looking), or even a new bike that has better quality and a model with a known reputation. It has disc brakes, but if They are of low quality (cannot be too good for the bike's price) the brakes may be more trouble than they are worth. I would stay away from a triple ring front cog set on a low end bike. The shifting is generally horrible. I cannot understand the 19Kg (over 40 pounds!) weight. Something is not right.

I would try to save a little more cash, or get a nice used bike.

Where was this advertised? Amazon?

Just stay away from it!

Try basing your purchase on features first, and looks second. Also, get sized for a bike before buying online. If it does not fit you properly it will not matter how it looks, what features it has, or how much you paid since you will not be comfortable on it and thus not happy with the purchase. It is tough to buy a bike from a photo if you have never used the same bike. Too many issues can arise. Plus, you will need to assemble it; or pay a shop to do it for you which only increases your cost even more. Try to help your local businesses by buying something from a respected shop. You should be able to get a bike somewhat near your price range; but more importantly you will have the support of the shop if there are any issues concerning it.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
@Ousama Hraki

Here is a review link to a Sami Race bike; not their road bike model (stated as a Sport model), but I would presume that its quality is not much better or worse than the bike you are looking at.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.facebook.com/Peaches-Bike-Repair-108476440985446/videos/thinking-of-that-amazon-bike-this-is-the-sami-race-sport-modelon-top-of-all-the-/155448503165274/%3Fextid%3DSEO----&ved=2ahUKEwi2096z_Nf3AhVNTTABHezdAK0QtwJ6BAgEEAI&usg=AOvVaw1V1ds5-9C3aVxw6xq24BBF

I didn't watch the video, but just the description for its assembly made me cringe.
Take care,
Jesper

(05-09-2022, 05:31 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  hi Ousama!
i have never heard of such a brand, to be honest. steel frame and 19kg - is that its weight? :o sounds frightening!
could you please provide more information on the bike's components? google does not provide much info on this model.

p.s.
how is the weather in your area?

hey Dom,

That weight is so frightening it makes me want to drag out the old Schwinn Varsity. It does look like it has an old style seat rail clamp, and probably a steel seat post; but even with that, the disc brakes, and the kickstand I can't figure out why it would be so heavy unless absolutely everything was steel.
Take care,
Jesper

Looks like iso 622 wheels (700), but description says 26 inch wheels. I would never suggest purchasing this sport bicycle @ 41 pounds...

I purchased a used 2100 Trek road bicycle for $200 from craigslist last year, 9 speed shimano ultegra components, that needed a bit of tuning. Tire were ready for replacement, but bicycle was purchased at a local shop in 2006 and maybe ridden a bit until it sat unused in his garage. The 2006 purchased Trek weight is 20 pounds...

(05-18-2022, 01:10 AM)JR Namida Wrote:  Looks like iso 622 wheels (700), but description says 26 inch wheels. I would never suggest purchasing this sport bicycle @ 41 pounds...

I purchased a used 2100 Trek road bicycle for $200 from craigslist last year, 9 speed shimano ultegra components, that needed a bit of tuning. Tire were ready for replacement, but bicycle was purchased at a local shop in 2006 and maybe ridden a bit until it sat unused in his garage. The 2006 purchased Trek weight is 20 pounds...

It's because you aren't sporting the 20 pound kickstand!

But really, you make a good point with being able to buy a very high quality bike at a more than reasonable price regardless of the weight. I have been doing that for years and have never felt dissatisfied at what I got. Found a private sale Colnago Assos a few years back for under $300. Turned out to be a dream of a ride for an aluminum frame (a big departure for for me).

Does that frame have carbon seat stays JR?
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...