Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need help verifying part compatibility
Brick 
Hey guys, so I want to convert [this bike](http://2020.devinci.com/archive/2008/montagne/CAMELEON3_EN.HTM) into a gravel bike. I already own a pair of SRAM Force 1 shifters (1x11) and flat mount calipers. I'll have to buy an IS to flat mount adaptor, I believe, at least for the back brake.

I plan on buying a 27.5" solid fork (1 1/8") and a pair of 27.5" QR mountain bike wheels with XD hubs to convert the bike to 650B rather than the current 26".

I will buy a SRAM rival crankset (46T, GXP BB) which I believe is the same as the current BB thread-wise. Since the wheels above have XD hubs, I want to put a big 9-50 cassette in the back, paired with a SRAM Rival 1 long rear mech.

I'll also buy a new headset, stem, and drop bars. Am I missing anything? I feel like it should all fit together but I'm worried about the sram mix between force 1 and the XD cassette. Also, the IS brake adapter - I think that's the right way to go.

Thanks in advance!
It's a gamble that the 27.5" wheels will fit your frame. Before you buy those wheels, you should take the bike to your local bike shop and ask them if they can help you verify that the wheels will fit (with clearance for the tires).

Drop bars and road setup on an MTB is something I call a Battle Bike. I've been wanting to make one myself, but I'm in over my head in finishing the builds that I already have.

Also check to make sure that the shell size matches the crank you want to put on. Many gravel components are only compatible with 68mm bottom bracket shell. They are made for road bike frames, cause for some reason gravel has become synonymous with the road style. If yours is a 73mm (as most MTB frames are), you'll need to make sure that the crankset spindle you get has enough length clearance to both install the crank, and also to torque it down without binding (if required).

A new headset isn't really necessary. It's only something you would swap out for style.

A quick search shows that SRAM 11 speed road shifters will not be compatible with the MTB derailleur that you want to use. They use different pull ratios, which has to do with the power needed to ascend into dramatically increasingly larger gears. It was suggested that the SRAM 10 speed Road shifters and MTB derailleurs will work together. I know for Shimano they are not. 9 speed was the last interchangeable Road&MTB schematics for them.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/using-sram-xo-derailleur-on-a-road-bike-with-sram-red-shifters.923101/
(11-12-2021, 06:56 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  It's a gamble that the 27.5" wheels will fit your frame. Before you buy those wheels, you should take the bike to your local bike shop and ask them if they can help you verify that the wheels will fit (with clearance for the tires).

Drop bars and road setup on an MTB is something I call a Battle Bike. I've been wanting to make one myself, but I'm in over my head in finishing the builds that I already have.

Also check to make sure that the shell size matches the crank you want to put on. Many gravel components are only compatible with 68mm bottom bracket shell. They are made for road bike frames, cause for some reason gravel has become synonymous with the road style. If yours is a 73mm (as most MTB frames are), you'll need to make sure that the crankset spindle you get has enough length clearance to both install the crank, and also to torque it down without binding (if required).

A new headset isn't really necessary. It's only something you would swap out for style.

A quick search shows that SRAM 11 speed road shifters will not be compatible with the MTB derailleur that you want to use. They use different pull ratios, which has to do with the power needed to ascend into dramatically increasingly larger gears. It was suggested that the SRAM 10 speed Road shifters and MTB derailleurs will work together. I know for Shimano they are not. 9 speed was the last interchangeable Road&MTB schematics for them.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/using-sram-xo-derailleur-on-a-road-bike-with-sram-red-shifters.923101/

Unfortunately it seems the rival crank won't fit on the 73mm BB, so I can either use my current crankset and replace the chainrings, or buy a new single speed MTB one. Might do the latter for a cleaner look.

I'm planning on using a SRAM Rival rear mech with the force shifters, which from what I can tell will be compatible. But I don't believe the rival mech works with anything but standard 11 speed cassettes, which means I'll need to combine a road cassette with a MTB crank. Will the chain line be okay?
(11-12-2021, 09:18 PM)Zombiefruit Wrote:  I'm planning on using a SRAM Rival rear mech with the force shifters, which from what I can tell will be compatible. But I don't believe the rival mech works with anything but standard 11 speed cassettes, which means I'll need to combine a road cassette with a MTB crank. Will the chain line be okay?

Note that you'll need a long cage derailleur to utilize a 46T cassette.

You will need the long cage version of the Rival, so make sure that's the one you have.

Chainline is mostly subjective. People utilize different chainlines to suite what gears they want the chain to run in a straight line for. You don't have to use the chainline that's suggested, so long as your chainline isn't so perverse that it's preventing the derailleur from functioning properly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

09-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Painkiller

03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Bill