Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Buying Used Bike & Need Advice
Heart 
Hi, I'm buying a used Roadmaster MT Sport 18 speed bike from someone but before I do, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this bike. Is it worth buying? Is it a good mountain bike? What does it retail for? Anything would be great. I have included a pic of the bike. Thank you!

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-10-2020, 10:58 PM)Xantea Wrote:  Hi, I'm buying a used Roadmaster MT Sport 18 speed bike from someone but before I do, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this bike. Is it worth buying? Is it a good mountain bike? What does it retail for? Anything would be great. I have included a pic of the bike. Thank you!

Although I have never ridden this bike, I do know that they are in the budget line of bikes. I don't think they are over $200 new, so $100 is about the max amount I'd pay if getting and everything is in excellent condition including tires (can cost $50+). If you plan on using this bike for REAL mountain/off-road trails, I would make sure that this bike is an actual mountain bike rated for that type of use. There are many "mountain" bike models that explicitly warn against using for off-road and/or "stunting" (warning label located on the frame). These are low end bikes designed for sport/recreational use, but probably not made for serious off-road riding on technical trails. On the other hand it should make a good "all-terrain" commuter, etc. Make sure you take a good test ride after adjusting for your fit. Make sure frame is the proper size for your riding style! A well fitting "cheap" bike will be more enjoyable than an ill-fitting expensive bike. Make sure that whatever bike you get (new or used) is set up and adjusted properly, fittings tight, etc. Have it done professionally if you are not familiar with setting it up. $75 might be a good ballpark estimate for this bike.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Never ever buy a dept. store bicycle of any level. probably not even a hundo new. Sticking with brand name bicycles that actually function you will be happier with even if needing some repair. Just my opinion. labor rates are the same no matter the cost of the bike new. even a free bike can end costing some money so make sure the bike is worth it. Bikes like this are not meant to repair by a shop, the are meant to replace. If the bike was $89.99 new and the time has come to replace tubes/tires, chain, grips and cables for example. that would surely cost more than $89.99. So it would make more sense to buy another one new. At least then you could strip off the remaining parts to have for repair you can do yourself. But in the end you still have a low end bike that just does not perform well and never will. The truth of the Dept. store quality bicycle "Rut".
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(09-12-2020, 09:09 AM)Painkiller Wrote:  Never ever buy a dept. store bicycle of any level. probably not even a hundo new. Sticking with brand name bicycles that actually function you will be happier with even if needing some repair. Just my opinion. labor rates are the same no matter the cost of the bike new. even a free bike can end costing some money so make sure the bike is worth it. Bikes like this are not meant to repair by a shop, the are meant to replace. If the bike was $89.99 new and the time has come to replace tubes/tires, chain, grips and cables for example. that would surely cost more than $89.99. So it would make more sense to buy another one new. At least then you could strip off the remaining parts to have for repair you can do yourself. But in the end you still have a low end bike that just does not perform well and never will. The truth of the Dept. store quality bicycle "Rut".

+1

Possibly Related Threads...