Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Squeeling Brakes! [Solved]
My new-ish disk bikes brakes squeel like you would not beleive! Any advice on how to deal with this?

Thanks!
let me hit you with a couple of problems, causes, and solutions;

A- your brakes need to be bed in. For this to be the case, your bike has to be pretty new so it depends on how old the bike/pads are.

B- your brake pads are contaminated. There are a few different reasons why this could be the case
-if they are hydrolic, the brake could be busted and are leaking oil
-If the housing was trimmed when putting it on by the brake, oil could have dripped down during the installlation process
-when cleaning the bike, the cleaning solution may have gotten on the pads

C- you are just a beast on the bike and your pads are all pitted and stuff from lots of use already somehow.

In the eventuality of A, basically the easiest way to fix it is find a big hill and ride down it a couple of times with the brakes on, or just ride around with them just grabbing enough to still ride. They rubbing should go away within a small amount of time if this is the case

In the eventuality of B or C, there is a couple ways to fix it, the easy way and the labor intensive way that is cheaper. The first way is just get new pads (dont forget to bed them in. And the labor intensive way is to take your contaminated pads of the bike, get some very high grit sand paper - I use something like 1000 - and some isopropyl alchohol. Spry the sandpaper down with the alcohol and rub the pads in circular motion until you wore away a tiny bit of the pad.

Hope this helps you out!!!
"Steel is real."
- IDK, some guy.
(09-08-2020, 12:04 AM)ChaseCal Wrote:  let me hit you with a couple of problems, causes, and solutions;

A- your brakes need to be bed in. For this to be the case, your bike has to be pretty new so it depends on how old the bike/pads are.

B- your brake pads are contaminated. There are a few different reasons why this could be the case
-if they are hydrolic, the brake could be busted and are leaking oil
-If the housing was trimmed when putting it on by the brake, oil could have dripped down during the installlation process
-when cleaning the bike, the cleaning solution may have gotten on the pads

C- you are just a beast on the bike and your pads are all pitted and stuff from lots of use already somehow.

In the eventuality of A, basically the easiest way to fix it is find a big hill and ride down it a couple of times with the brakes on, or just ride around with them just grabbing enough to still ride. They rubbing should go away within a small amount of time if this is the case

In the eventuality of B or C, there is a couple ways to fix it, the easy way and the labor intensive way that is cheaper. The first way is just get new pads (dont forget to bed them in. And the labor intensive way is to take your contaminated pads of the bike, get some very high grit sand paper - I use something like 1000 - and some isopropyl alchohol. Spry the sandpaper down with the alcohol and rub the pads in circular motion until you wore away a tiny bit of the pad.

Hope this helps you out!!!

Amazing. I just went out and 'bedded them in' as you suggested, and there we go, solved! Thanks a lot! Still learning!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Last Post: KC-Steve