Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

FD cable pull on opposite side of frame
I am building a Mongoose MTB for my wife and the front cable pull is on the opposite side of the chain and I am having a hard time finding the right Derailleur for the bike. Any suggestions?
post some pics of the bike, this may help
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-05-2020, 01:43 PM)Mark Hunt Wrote:  I am building a Mongoose MTB for my wife and the front cable pull is on the opposite side of the chain and I am having a hard time finding the right Derailleur for the bike. Any suggestions?

Hi Mark and welcome,

I am a wee bit confused; did you mean opposite side of the frame? I have an older Mongoose "IBOC", but I'd have to take a look at it to see if there's something "odd" about the cable routing. If you could post a photo or 2, as Painkiller stated, of the specific problem it may help myself and others provide help regarding your query.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
The cable angle from the frame is not working and I need to know what to do if possible or what Derailleur to buy.

Thank you!

Mark

Attached Files Image(s)

going by what I see in the marks on the frame, you more than likely had a totally different style than what you have pictured. you need a dual pull Tourny for that bike. Check out the Shimano FD-Ty510. It mounts much lower. go to any Dept store and look at the cable routing on a similar bike if you need to for reference
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(07-07-2020, 12:10 PM)Mark Hunt Wrote:  The cable angle from the frame is not working and I need to know what to do if possible or what Derailleur to buy.

Thank you!

Mark

Okay Mark, l see what you mean. I don't mess with MTBs too often, thus my ignorance and my Mongoose sitting in a state of disrepair. I live in Florida so not much need of it and my working MTB is a rigid frame and configured differently. I think the Shimano Ultegra is a bottom pull, you can look it up online and see if it would work; l know the cable clamp for it is situated on the left side as opposed to the top pull one you have pictured. I'll ask at my bike shop what they suggest since they mess about with that stuff regularly.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

(07-07-2020, 08:32 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(07-07-2020, 12:10 PM)Mark Hunt Wrote:  The cable angle from the frame is not working and I need to know what to do if possible or what Derailleur to buy.

Thank you!

Mark

Okay Mark, l see what you mean. I don't mess with MTBs too often, thus my ignorance and my Mongoose sitting in a state of disrepair. I live in Florida so not much need of it and my working MTB is a rigid frame and configured differently. I think the Shimano Ultegra is a bottom pull, you can look it up online and see if it would work; l know the cable clamp for it is situated on the left side as opposed to the top pull one you have pictured. I'll ask at my bike shop what they suggest since they mess about with that stuff regularly.

Take care,
Jesper

I will give it a try, it looks like the right fit for this bike.

Thanks!
Mark
(07-08-2020, 06:54 PM)Mark Hunt Wrote:  
(07-07-2020, 08:32 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Thank you!

Mark

Take care,
Jesper

I will give it a try, it looks like the right fit for this bike.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark,

I took a look at a Shimano Triple, but it IS A BOTTOM PULL DESIGN which is not compatible with your frame set-up. I also looked at the Shimano Tourney recommended by Painkiller, and that is definitely one appropriate option. It is a top swing design, and presumably also a top pull for the cable routing; dirt cheap at $15 or so.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

(07-05-2020, 01:43 PM)Mark Hunt Wrote:  I am building a Mongoose MTB for my wife and the front cable pull is on the opposite side of the chain and I am having a hard time finding the right Derailleur for the bike. Any suggestions?

I also got another recommendation from a friend: Shimano Deore , he believes it is an M510 model dual pull (top pull on the side you need it to be), and top swing. I don't know if new or used but he said about $20.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...