Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Bike is Creaking on the left side during the downstroke
As the title states, what feels like my pedal is creaking when Im on the downstroke on my left side. I say my pedal but based on what I have diagnosed so far I’m not sure if that’s it? I can feel the creak happening in my pedal though. I’ve looked into this and done a few preliminary things to see what could possibly be the problem. So far what I have done is:

Removed the pedal, regreased and cleaned the threads, and thoroughly cleaned the pedal.

Removed the cleat from my left shoe, cleaned both the clear and the shoe, and reinstalled the cleat

The pedals, threads, cleats, and shoes have all been thoroughly cleaned and greased. The pedals are also relatively new (less than 6 months) and have 0 rust or build up anywhere in the springs of locking mechanism.

After putting everything back together the sound is still there and just as loud as it was before! I can both hear and feel it when I ride, but only on the left side and only on the downstroke. It also strangely seems like the sound is not there when I’m laying down a lot of power; it’s mainly prevalent when I’m maintaining a steady state pace.

This sound is SO annoying and aggravating and I’m desperate to try and fix it! Any ideas of what it could be and how to take care of it?

Video link to sound: https://streamable.com/h7td03
(12-01-2020, 07:36 PM)TheColonel91 Wrote:  As the title states, what feels like my pedal is creaking when Im on the downstroke on my left side. I say my pedal but based on what I have diagnosed so far I’m not sure if that’s it? I can feel the creak happening in my pedal though. I’ve looked into this and done a few preliminary things to see what could possibly be the problem. So far what I have done is:

Removed the pedal, regreased and cleaned the threads, and thoroughly cleaned the pedal.

Removed the cleat from my left shoe, cleaned both the clear and the shoe, and reinstalled the cleat

The pedals, threads, cleats, and shoes have all been thoroughly cleaned and greased. The pedals are also relatively new (less than 6 months) and have 0 rust or build up anywhere in the springs of locking mechanism.

After putting everything back together the sound is still there and just as loud as it was before! I can both hear and feel it when I ride, but only on the left side and only on the downstroke. It also strangely seems like the sound is not there when I’m laying down a lot of power; it’s mainly prevalent when I’m maintaining a steady state pace.

This sound is SO annoying and aggravating and I’m desperate to try and fix it! Any ideas of what it could be and how to take care of it?

More than likely it is your bottom bracket assy. or the crank arm to BB spindle connection. Seems to be most common on external bearing BBs that are not necessarily that old; older style bikes with internal BBs tend to creak at the crank connection after some years or with an improperly installed crankarm. Post a photo, I guarantee that a mechanic here has dealt with the problem. I do not have bikes with the newer types of BBs, but I have heard multiple complaints at the shop similar to your own. Problem is, having not worked on that type BB, I do not know what was done to solve it.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
When this happened to me this summer I thought it was the pedal because it was only on one side JI changed pedals and it was still making the noise so I took it to the bike shop. My bike is a Trek and It has 4 bearings in the crank 3 were bad two being on the left side. You might want to check your bearings it servicing the pedals or changing them dosent work
I agree with Jesper: very likely to be the crank/axle connection or the BB bearings. In order of ease/least cost try:-
1) Remove the cranks, grease everything, re-assemble to correct torques. If the bearings are the sort which can be removed without damage (I.e. not press fit), you could remove them too, clean/grease and re-assemble.
2) If the bearings are press-fit, you could try replacing them.
3) If press-fit, consider replacing the whole assembly with one of the systems which connects the two sides (Hope, Wheels Manufacturing and Praxis all make systems but you need to check compatibility with your frame and cranks).
Good luck! Carl

(12-01-2020, 07:36 PM)TheColonel91 Wrote:  As the title states, what feels like my pedal is creaking when Im on the downstroke on my left side. I say my pedal but based on what I have diagnosed so far I’m not sure if that’s it? I can feel the creak happening in my pedal though. I’ve looked into this and done a few preliminary things to see what could possibly be the problem. So far what I have done is:

Possibly Related Threads...