Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Cant find broken cog for Next Powerclimber
Ok, so I am not real fluent with bikes, however I am attempting to repair my girlfriends Next PowerClimber 24". The cog that holds the rest of the sprockets on the rear tire is threaded to lock them in place. The cog is cracked and the threads are not holding allowing the rest of the sprockets to fall off. I have attempted to find a place to buy this broken threaded cog with no luck. I am getting extremely discouraged. I understand that this is not an expensive bike but would really like to return it to working condition asap. I have also attempted to reach DynaCraft who my understanding is the maker of the bike but have not received any response. If anyone has any idea where I can get one of these or even has any laying around I would greatly appreciate it.

I have attached a photo of the item. Sorry it is not the clearest.

THanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-26-2020, 03:17 PM)JLMort Wrote:  Ok, so I am not real fluent with bikes, however I am attempting to repair my girlfriends Next PowerClimber 24". The cog that holds the rest of the sprockets on the rear tire is threaded to lock them in place. The cog is cracked and the threads are not holding allowing the rest of the sprockets to fall off. I have attempted to find a place to buy this broken threaded cog with no luck. I am getting extremely discouraged. I understand that this is not an expensive bike but would really like to return it to working condition asap. I have also attempted to reach DynaCraft who my understanding is the maker of the bike but have not received any response. If anyone has any idea where I can get one of these or even has any laying around I would greatly appreciate it.

I have attached a photo of the item. Sorry it is not the clearest.

THanks
I searched for parts, too, and found nothing. The bike retails for $99.97, so that may explain why you can't get an answer from the maker, most likely in an Asian country, who churns bikes out but doesn't provide aftermarket parts. I've never seen such a setup for cogs that needs a screw-on top gear cog. Regular cassette cogs slide onto a splined freehub, and are held in place with a lockring. Freewheels cogs are one piece and screw onto the hub. Those are the two most typical gear setups.

For a cog to break like that, it must be a really inferior part, and if the threads are not holding, then it may be that they are stripped. Or perhaps the cog isn't holding because, being cracked, it's opening up and coming loose.

I hate to say this but it looks like you are out of luck. Such cheap bikes are made to look nice and shiny in the store, but they are not worth buying. Most of the bikes bought in big box stores will give you trouble sooner or later. They are built down to a low price with the cheapest of parts. And that means more repair jobs if you can get the parts. It looks to me like the bike is scrap. I know it costs considerably more to buy a bike from a bike shop, but it's the best way to go in the long term. Those bikes have better parts which are obtainable online or by the bike shop.

I found Dynacraft's website which lists their head office. You could try writing to them but I doubt they will be able to help. An alternative would be to take the bike to a bike shop to see what they have to say. I doubt that they will be able to do much if the parts are not available. And their cost just for labor, would be at least half the cost of the bike.

Sorry to be so negative, but keep looking. You may get lucky.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.

Possibly Related Threads...