Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Decent Grip / twist shifters 2020
no High quality grip shifts, suggest you go with the sl-m310 3x8 pods. but you can still buy narrow grips unless you are talking the rubber on the shift wheel that is gone.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(06-12-2020, 05:38 PM)bb3 Wrote:  Started riding again. My street bike has SRAM Attack 8 speed twist shifters (Shimano compatible) and the grips are melting off, apparently that's a thing that happens. They're working fine otherwise, but it looks like you can't replace the grips and it seems like my only choice is to replace the whole shifters. Which sucks.

I'm having trouble figuring out what decent twist shifters are in 2020 I want something good and reliable that will work with my old XT and 8 speed. Not wanting to change out a lot of parts that are working fine. There seems to be a few options, but almost no info on how well any of them work. All I can find is people replacing cheap shifters on kids bikes.

It's cool if you like triggers, but I'm not interested.
Never mind. I wish could delete this reply.
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
My unfavorable experiences with twist shifters stem from the use of a low-cost set. With a little metal spring within, it was largely constructed of plastic and rubber. It had worn out to the point where it couldn't shift consistently after a few years.

Grip shifters, on the other hand, are significantly less ergonomic than trigger shifters in my opinion. The act of shifting gears with my wrist does not come easy to me. Using trigger shifters, on the other hand, feels more natural to me. I only have to take my hands off the brake levers for a second. In exchange for that, I'll take just being able to shift down three gears and up one at a time. Because I rarely move more than a few gears at a time, the capacity to shift from one extreme to the other was not a consideration in my purchase.

Will my trigger shifters be more reliable in the long term than my grip shifters? Only time will tell, albeit the trigger shifters are more difficult, so it's possible they won't. In terms of gloves, I've had no issues utilizing trigger shifters while wearing full-finger gloves. I think you'd have a hard time if you were wearing mittens.
Life is a Gift

Possibly Related Threads...