Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Coaster hub help
Hi, I was given a kids bike from my friend but the back coaster hub has a problem. The hub works perfectly braking and propelling. When you go from propelling to coasting it doesn’t totally disengage the clutch and therefore you get a rapid loud clicking noise. I believe this is caused by the clutch not totally disengaging from the hub shell lip. Pedaling backwards slightly (not enough to brake) will disengage the clutch totally and the noise stops.

I have tried pulling the hub apart a couple of times and used different amounts of grease but I can't seem to get rid of the problem.

Has anyone come across this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John
Hi John,

How much do you tighten the inner nut after you put the hub back together? I just tore apart a 20" inch rear hub and found myself if you tighten it too much it gives resistance. Too loose, well you will know this as it will be sloppy when you hold the rim and move the bolt up and down. I could be wrong on this assessment but it is a starting point lol. Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-17-2009, 08:33 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hi John,

How much do you tighten the inner nut after you put the hub back together? I just tore apart a 20" inch rear hub and found myself if you tighten it too much it gives resistance. Too loose, well you will know this as it will be sloppy when you hold the rim and move the bolt up and down. I could be wrong on this assessment but it is a starting point lol. Smile

Hi Bill, I did think about that. I only finger tighten the nut and agree with your findings. I dont believe this is the problem though. Thanks John
Be careful not to get grease on the pawls, it will not allow them to move freely. Grease is good for bearings that have to work under a lot of pressure, the pawls however are moved by small springs that cannot exert a lot of force, so clean them thoroughly and use some oil on them to lubricate and protect them. I remember seeing a howto on freewheel or freehub overhaul somewhere on the net but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Good luck though.
Here is a link that I found that may be of help for a reference:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=104
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
My two daughters and I was working on a 12.5" toddlers bicycle and well decided to update this post with a couple of pictures my youngest daughter took while the three of us were working in the shop. Smile .
These are the internal parts of a pedal brake hub of a low end kids bike.
Thank you for the pictures in this post. You just saved me from a ton of stress and heartache. I have a beautiful Pearl pink and white Schwinn Beach Cruiser. My dad wanted to look at my bike. Which I use instead of a car. I prefer to ride than drive. Dad wound up taking apart the entire rear wheel hub of my bike. Then he couldn't figure out how to put it back together. To say I was cross is putting it mildly. After looking at the pictures I have figured out how to fix my dad's screw up. I can't thank you enough.

Possibly Related Threads...