New: Take part in the March 2020 Giveaway for an ELEVEN Cycling Uniform

Welcome guest! Register or sign in to participate in the cycling discussions.

New 3 speed hub with coaster brake: brake squeals and sticks
I recently purchased a used (nearly new) Sun Traditional adult Tricycle, 2016  model, and attempted to add on a brand new 3 speed conversion kit purchased through Amazon. The kit is made by Sturmey Archer, and intended for Sun trikes like mine from 2015 and newer.

As far as I can tell, I've installed the hub correctly. It shifts smoothly and runs well.

However, the coaster brake makes a weird squealing noise when applied, and often sticks a bit.

Here is a link to a short video, shot through the rear basket. First i cycle through all gears, then demonstrate the weird noise it makes when the brake is applied. Higher speed = louder noise, and more sticking when I resume pedaling.  

https://youtu.be/kRiYaPo6F_0

It does not make the noise when I test the hub and brake by lifting the rear wheel and turn the pedals with the other hand, but only when I ride. Fwiw, I'm a thin person,  and the trike fits me just fine, so I'm not "overstressing" the brake with my own weight.

Does anyone have any idea if this could be a defective hub, or if I've made an installation error? I'm hoping to avoid visiting the local bike shop, in order to save some money, but will do so if needed.

I certainly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!
Laura
(08-01-2017, 04:14 PM)unusualhuman Wrote:  I recently purchased a used (nearly new) Sun Traditional adult Tricycle, 2016  model, and attempted to add on a brand new 3 speed conversion kit purchased through Amazon. The kit is made by Sturmey Archer, and intended for Sun trikes like mine from 2015 and newer.

As far as I can tell, I've installed the hub correctly. It shifts smoothly and runs well.

However, the coaster brake makes a weird squealing noise when applied, and often sticks a bit.

Here is a link to a short video, shot through the rear basket. First i cycle through all gears, then demonstrate the weird noise it makes when the brake is applied. Higher speed = louder noise, and more sticking when I resume pedaling.  
https://hghreviewer.com/

It does not make the noise when I test the hub and brake by lifting the rear wheel and turn the pedals with the other hand, but only when I ride. Fwiw, I'm a thin person,  and the trike fits me just fine, so I'm not "overstressing" the brake with my own weight.

Does anyone have any idea if this could be a defective hub, or if I've made an installation error? I'm hoping to avoid visiting the local bike shop, in order to save some money, but will do so if needed.

I certainly appreciate any help offered.

Thanks!
Laura

Nice kit, have u made it by your self ? Or u just bought it ?!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tektro Auriga Comp Brake Questions surreypete 1 250 03-15-2020, 05:42 PM
Last Post: BaBaBiker
  Mushroomed brake boss relative4 1 166 02-27-2020, 11:55 PM
Last Post: BaBaBiker
  Shimano Deore BL-T610 brake levers | broken Nicholas 2 707 01-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Last Post: G_M
  Rear disc brake is rubbing dwc7 6 424 01-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: dwc7
  Weak disc brake brno 6 463 01-06-2020, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Brake boss sizes??? RustyChayne 7 9,405 12-14-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: RJD
  Brake lever hood replacement CharlieMCoste 1 530 09-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Papa Dom
  Replace disc brake pads bibimbap 4 829 09-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Last Post: CharleyFarley
  Tools for removing disc brake rotors bibimbap 4 855 09-09-2019, 10:36 PM
Last Post: bibimbap
  New to bike repair- brake caliper selection question. jumpin_jumpin 3 739 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Joe_W