Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the May Giveaway for a Change to Win the Thruster 27.5 Retrograde BMX Cruiser Bike

Adding brake to kids balance bike
Just looking to mount a brake to my kids’ balance bike. Any kits out there? Ideas? More of how to mount to frame. Simple U set up
(06-10-2024, 11:54 PM)Skq Wrote:  Just looking to mount a brake to my kids’ balance bike. Any kits out there? Ideas? More of how to mount to frame. Simple U set up

Welcome to the site!

It would help if you posted a couple photos of the bike, and give brand and model name in order to assist you. I will admit that I am not familiar with balance bikes' specific designs regarding compatibility with component ad-ons or modifications. The frame/either needs to be designed for adding brakes and/or capable of being modified for same. The manner in which the brakes engage the wheel are also a possible obstacle to do what you wish to do.

I have only one recommendation that might solve 2 problems at once. Since your child will presumably be growing at a fairly rapid rate in the coming months and years, it may be best to buy a bike that is already designed with brakes mounted to it. You can get a size that is a little larger (maybe one or two sizes larger than your child's present optimal fit) and drop the seat and handlebar height in a manner with which the child could ride it while still using it as a balance bike by having the pedals, crank arms, and bottom bracket assy (crank arm spindle and bearings) removed to eliminate any interference. At a later time those same parts can be easily reinstalled and assuming the child grew up some in the interim the bike would now be closer to or at the optimal size whereupon the seat and handlebar could be readjusted as needed. I always recommend (regardless of bike type) that parents get a size or two larger in order to avoid having to buy a new bike in short order due to a child's growth. Even kids bikes are getting expensive. Since kids bikes (often nearly unused) are pretty much being given away (often thrown away) at local thrift stores, Salvation Army, Good Will, Craigslist, etc. you can usually find something to fit the need for $25 or less. Removal of those parts at a bike shop should not be too much ($10-$20); many shops work on kids bikes for free or very cheap (except if needing parts), so give them a try even for the brake modifications.
Nothing I have stated would affect the safety of the bike or rider, but if you modify a new bike (be it a balance bike or standard pedal bike) you will void the manufacturer's warranty. If you do get a used (or new) bike it should be checked for safety and serviced and/or adjusted to ensure it is safe before use.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
As the standard model, you could drill a hole in the fork and mount a BMX-style sidepull caliper brake. It should have the reach and clearance necessary for a kid's balance bike. Get the brake first and measure the diameter of the axle so you know the size hole to drill. They are not all equal.

Examples include

https://www.bpcycle.com/tektro-985-bmx-sidepull-brake-caliper-black.html

↓ This one you may have to remove the rear mount axle and replace it with the included front mount axle. It's a fairly simple process though. The benefits include that it comes with everything else you would need, including cable/housing and brake lever.

https://us.sourcebmx.com/products/odyssey-1999-brake-kit
Kind of hard to mount a rim brake without knowing if the rim is compatible. Without any photo or make/model number everything is a moot point. It might just have a plastic disc, or wooden wheel that will not mate properly with any type of general rim brake since they were not designed for brakes that I am aware. The OP needs to provide more info to start to be provided with specific information. Why buy something that might never work regardless of whether it is possible to mount it if the wheel itself is not compatible (which I have not yet seen). Balance bikes do not seem to have any standards since they more of a toy than tool.
Also, the brake lever needs to be able to be properly mounted on the bar and of a suitable design where the small hand/shorter fingers of a young child can adequately reach and squeeze it. A specific child size set-up is needed or an adult version needs to be modified.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I get where you're coming from.

I don't think it would matter though for a kid's balance bike.

Even a disc-styled rim would still get enough braking power from contact of a BMX caliper and any kind of brake shoes.

Possibly Related Threads...