Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Race Team Volunteer Member
Tell me your opinion:

Recently I saw an event for a mixed terrain team time trial event of approx. 50 miles; no specifics as to length of pavement compared to "off-road" surfaces (packed gravel/limerock). An individual had a post, and I quote: "Will do it but need four others." That was all it said. I responded with: "I would have no problem riding on your team. I fear that I would be the slowest, least experienced, using improper equipment. I don't own a hybrid and/or cross bike. My present bike for anything other than pavement is a mid '80s steel road bike "modified" for cross; I put 30mm tires on it. Knowing what the actual terrain is, and what % of the ride would be paved would help because I might be inclined to ride a different bike if mostly paved. Still I'm game. I'm a solo rider, so I don't know anyone else to refer to help complete the team. I'm an older guy (50s) and I have no idea what speed I'd be able do. Never done a non-paved road event. I live about 1.25 hours from the location." The event description recommended against mountain bikes; use of a hybrid or cross bike was recommended, but use of any bike is allowed. It's a free unsanctioned event, open course with traffic and the like (essentially what all my non-trial rides are excepting the "off-road" part). I got a response on the comments page to that site from the same person wanting someone to team up with. I didn't know the gender and/or level of rider that I was talking to; just offering a hot body to help with the requested need. Teams could be all male. all female, or coed. The response was: "Lets see if you can make it through the Doc Hollywood ride tomorrow." I wasn't familiar with this ride nor could I just up and do an 80 mile (had to look up the event and mileage) event at the last minute (I'm an on-call hospital OR worker). I sent back a response about not doing a "job interview" (I was volunteering!) just to ride on that individual's, as yet, non-existent team. I'm now going a different "route" regarding that event, but that's a different story. What's up? Am I wrong to volunteer my help without giving my entire background for what is essentially a meaningless unsanctioned fun ride? Should I have assumed that I needed to have specific experience (I actually do, just not event oriented)? Did the fact that I made it known that this wasn't my forte automatically either exclude me and/or necessitate a traceable result from another event just to prove I can ride farther than the event I was volunteering for? I would have merely said to someone trying to help that I was looking for a more experienced rider, but I'd still be happy to take you on if I couldn't fill out a team so that I could still enter the event as it appeared in my "will only need..." post. I certainly would have thanked someone for offering whether or not I took them on as a team member.
Thanks for any comments; I will not feel insulted if you put me down regarding my naivety for this type of situation. Just curious what I did wrong and/or right.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
oh man, welcome to the strange side of competitive amateur cycling. I feel that "will do it but need four others" clearly does not provide enough info to begin with; nice of you to offer help though.
Where was that post published, Jesper? I honestly despise when people post such vague messages & attach expectations. Once I responded to an anonymous invitation to a time trial (pair event). The guy was clear in formulating that "this is for fun, my average flat cruising speed is 17mph and blah blah". We had a blast and couple beers after the ride. We still keep in touch, very positive experience thanks to spontaneity.

Just do not take it personally. Nothing wrong with offering "hot body to help" Smile
Good luck @ the event and let us know how it went.
"Carbon is faster"
(02-15-2020, 11:13 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  oh man, welcome to the strange side of competitive amateur cycling. I feel that "will do it but need four others" clearly does not provide enough info to begin with; nice of you to offer help though.

(02-16-2020, 06:53 PM)Nikko Wrote:  Where was that post published, Jesper? I honestly despise when people post such vague messages & attach expectations. Once I responded to an anonymous invitation to a time trial (pair event). The guy was clear in formulating that "this is for fun, my average flat cruising speed is 17mph and blah blah". We had a blast and couple beers after the ride. We still keep in touch, very positive experience thanks to spontaneity.

Just do not take it personally. Nothing wrong with offering "hot body to help" Smile
Good luck @ the event and let us know how it went.

Thanks for the comments! I'm not bothered by not being accepted on the team; just somewhat chagrinned at the manner in which the individual went about in both asking for and then replying to the assistance which was proffered.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I back you up on this one Jesper. the manner in which he (?) communicates; can sense the arrogance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post