Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Food after late training ride
Some might say that eating after 8 or 9pm is not gooood.
What to do if you sometimes simply can't end the training ride before 10 or even 11pm?
"Carbon is faster"
Post workout drink, many to choose from.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Turkish yoghurt drink (ayran), with some salt added. Or just some yoghurt. Or buttermilk, maybe with a splash of fruit juice added (not too much, stomach doesn't like it)
Wops, forgot to thank you guys!
Light yoghurt with bananas and a bit of honey (or agave) has been the choice to go recently. Also couple of rice plates with spread, very light. There were days when I had full meal at 10pm after a long ride, but that backfired with atrocious wakeups and bad sleep quality. It was hard to fall asleep and there was too much digestion action happening during the night.
"Carbon is faster"
I'd still eat a meal after a ride even if it's late. Otherwise you'd just wake up starving the next day. I believe too that if you eat after the ride it will let you grow your muscles so you're not as sore next time and is just good all around unless you're trying to lose weight.
I don't see the benefit, or enjoyment, of a training ride at 10:00pm. I'm done with all my workouts -swim, bike, run - by 4:00pm the latest. I'm good with the non-fat yogurt too for some filling protein before bed with a little honey. My nightly drink before bed, 10-11pm, is golden milk. I juice fresh turmeric and ginger for my anti-inflammatory beverage. Good Night!
(12-11-2022, 03:26 PM)SPINMAN Wrote:  I don't see the benefit, or enjoyment, of a training ride at 10:00pm. I'm done with all my workouts -swim, bike, run - by 4:00pm the latest. I'm good with the non-fat yogurt too for some filling protein before bed with a little honey. My nightly drink before bed, 10-11pm, is golden milk. I juice fresh turmeric and ginger for my anti-inflammatory beverage. Good Night!

With marathon training long runs, sometimes I would get done at 10pm or later. I would try to stick to liquid food but sometimes body would crave for something solid and savory. So, I would try nuts or some healthy, savory Indian snacks (Khakras). I found these to be best after workout meals, always satiated mea and weren't too heavy to digest. I would also keep a pack or two of these for my long rides.

Because I practiced intermittent fasting, last meal was important regardless of the timing..:-(
(08-18-2019, 05:43 PM)Nikko Wrote:  Some might say that eating after 8 or 9pm is not gooood.
What to do if you sometimes simply can't end the training ride before 10 or even 11pm?

The main problem with eating super late is that it can spike your blood sugar levels and make it hard to enjoy a good night's sleep. If you make a habit of it, that's when poor sleep and chronically heightened blood sugar can contribute to significant health problems. If your rides are running super late and you're hungry, just eat something that's more protein-heavy and avoid oily foods or carb-dense foods. Eating a decent amount of protein about an hour before bed will help improve your muscular recovery, as well.

A simple protein shake, a grilled chicken salad, a handful of nuts, these are some good options for small meals and snacks to take the edge off if you have to eat super late.
After training, eating late won't actually matter much, and blood sugar spike can be negligible because of anabolic afterburn.

Your body will continue burning calories well into the night and morning, especially in the face of microdamage activation and repair/recovery. Eating just helps to ensure that your body can stave nutrient depletion and ensure the best recovery possible.
(02-17-2023, 06:08 PM)Robert J Hansen Wrote:  
(08-18-2019, 05:43 PM)Nikko Wrote:  Some might say that eating after 8 or 9pm is not gooood.

The main problem with eating super late is that it can spike your blood sugar levels and make it hard to enjoy a good night's sleep. If you make a habit of it, that's when poor sleep and chronically heightened blood sugar can contribute to significant health problems. If your rides are running super late and you're hungry, just eat something that's more protein-heavy and avoid oily foods or carb-dense foods. Eating a decent amount of protein about an hour before bed will help improve your muscular recovery, as well.

A simple protein shake, a grilled chicken salad, a handful of nuts, these are some good options for small meals and snacks to take the edge off if you have to eat super late.

(02-22-2023, 12:00 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  After training, eating late won't actually matter much, and blood sugar spike can be negligible because of anabolic afterburn.

Your body will continue burning calories well into the night and morning, especially in the face of microdamage activation and repair/recovery. Eating just helps to ensure that your body can stave nutrient depletion and ensure the best recovery possible.

Can you folks cite references regarding your statements so that I can read more indepth explanations?
Sure, here's a few

https://lifesum.com/nutrition-explained/the-afterburn-how-the-body-burns-calories-after-a-workout

Greek yoghurt Greek yoghurt Greek yoghurt!!!

Greek yogurt is high in protein and can be combined with fruit and nuts. The fruit provides carbohydrates and vitamins, while the nuts add fiber. Also it's a llight thing before sleeping

We have various food carts that go around in a tricycle in this country, best after ride snack after late night training is a rice porridge called "Goto". Its rice porridge seasoned with Fish Sauce(Patis), Beef, and Beef Stomach Lining(Goto). The last ingredient feels and tastes like Ox Tail. Perfect food for recovery
I believe that eating after 8 or 9 pm is okay in moderation and as long as you have been engaging in physical activity. If you are doing a long training ride, it is important to refuel and replenish your body with the nutrients it needs. Eating something light before 10 or 11 pm can help with reducing hunger pains and give your body energy for the next day.
(02-23-2023, 10:23 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Sure, here's a few

https://lifesum.com/nutrition-explained/the-afterburn-how-the-body-burns-calories-after-a-workout

Thank you!
It partly depends on whether a person is trying to lose weight or not. Eating late may prevent a person from losing weight.
Just joined this awesome forum and couldn't help but chime in on the late-night munchies after a solid training ride. So, I get it – sometimes life throws curveballs, and that ride ends way past dinner o'clock. Personally, I stumbled upon this gem, the Sydney restaurants park, after a late session. It's a game-changer! Great vibes, plus they understand the post-ride hunger struggle. Don't stress about the clock; focus on refueling.

There are indeed some potential downsides to eating after 9pm, mainly related to digestion and sleep. I recommend you small portions of lean protein food. Nothing fried tho and nothing sweet
I agree with 'don't stress about the clock. part' Usually, the body will tell us when it needs refueling or not.

For instance, I practice intermittent fasting even when biking long distances. I refrain from eating or drinking anything until 4-5 pm or until I reach my 15-16 hour window. During this time, I rely solely on black coffee. However, the meal or food I consumed the previous evening/night keeps me going. Given my limited 6-7 hour window to replenish my body, I consume a substantial meal well beyond 9 or 10 pm. While I acknowledge that this approach might not align with conventional practices, I abstain from taking any electrolytes while fasting and when breaking my fast. Additionally, I don't categorize my food into 'protein,' 'carbohydrate,' or the like. Instead, I stick to any vegetarian meal I can find or prepare, along with fruits and occasionally eggs. The electrolytes necessary for my body come from the food I consume. Occasionally, my body craves french fries, which I avoid. Recognizing that it's seeking salt, I opt for healthier salty snacks.

At times, I eat just before going to bed. However, considering the upcoming 16-hour fasting period, I aim to refuel as much as possible within the short time window I have allocated for myself

(12-26-2023, 09:24 AM)Dakota Harring Wrote:  Just joined this awesome forum and couldn't help but chime in on the late-night munchies after a solid training ride. So, I get it – sometimes life throws curveballs, and that ride ends way past dinner o'clock. Personally, I stumbled upon this gem, the Sydney restaurants park, after a late session. It's a game-changer! Great vibes, plus they understand the post-ride hunger struggle. Don't stress about the clock; focus on refueling.
Again, this might go against everything you have heard, but your body will tell you what it wants and when, whether you have been advised that it's the right time or not.

The day before, I left home at around 1:30 PM for a 76+ mile bikepacking ride. I had eaten a big meal of 4 parathas before hitting the road. While I was inquiring about the route, a villager not only guided me to an off-the-beaten-path route but also fed me lunch (6 rice cakes with coconut chutney at around 3:30 PM).

Then I rode non-stop until 6:30 PM when I rejoined the freeway. There I ate 4 bananas,
2 plates of puffed rice dish, and 2 sugarless coffees. Then I rode until around 11:20 PM before reaching my destination. After freshening up, I ate "dinner" of millet porridge, buttermilk, and a handful of peanuts at around midnight or 12:30 AM. Then I hit the sack at around 1:00-1:30 AM.

Again, times are just that. My Strava says that's about 2700 kcals, but the body knows exactly how much fuel it needs, whether it's before 9:00 PM or after. It will need to replenish and recover.

This is especially vital in my case, as my next real meal was at 7:00 PM. So, my body needed to repair, recover, and replenish in the one-two sittings of food I go with.

So, just listen to your body..:-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-08-2024, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Biglabrowdy

02-15-2023, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Lss555

04-22-2010, 06:01 PM