Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Cycling Training Programs
New to the forum and joined based on a recommendation from a user on Reddit.

I am looking to use cycling as my cardio component to lose weight. I know I have work to do on my diet and caloric intake, etc. but I am looking for a good program to follow (like on a website, app, etc.) to help me with a weight-loss program with cycling.

I have a Garmin 920XT and a Polar arm HR monitor so I should be able to watch HR zones.

Any thoughts?
(02-09-2021, 11:29 AM)Chris P-T Wrote:  New to the forum and joined based on a recommendation from a user on Reddit.

I am looking to use cycling as my cardio component to lose weight. I know I have work to do on my diet and caloric intake, etc. but I am looking for a good program to follow (like on a website, app, etc.) to help me with a weight-loss program with cycling.

I have a Garmin 920XT and a Polar arm HR monitor so I should be able to watch HR zones.

Any thoughts?

Hi Chris,

Have you been cycling much in the past? I just fixed up a "junker" Gary Fisher mountain bike for a friend's brother; he rode it about 3/4's of a mile and nearly passed out and had to call his wife to pick him and the bike up. I did not know his fitness level. I certainly did not tell him to go all out to start his riding; I believe he thought he could still ride like he did as a kid! The guy is in his mid 60s, overweight and out of shape. He has seen me (late 50s) do +25 mile rides at a fairly fast speed (+17 mph), and I believe he thought that it would be just as easy for him to ride a short distance at a decent pace as it is for me. I have been riding for 50 years, not to mention physically demanding work. When I heard what happened I told him to ditch the bike and do some extended walking first. It is not important as to how much distance you do, but is more based on the amount of time you are exercising. Try to do a very light and easy ride (or walking) for 30 mins. a day at a consistent pace. Slowly increase time and distance; you have enough gadgets to monitor your progress. Nothing wrong with putting the bike on a stationary trainer either. That guy can now ride a few miles (2-3) and has reported losing about 12 pounds over a couple weeks. Always hard to tell actual weight loss short term, often a loss of water weight before true fat loss. I would suggest a BMI measurement to establish a baseline reference. Another friend I built a bike for was hurting after riding short distances (62 year old light-moderate smoker); he would not change gears (I built him a lightweight 7 speed) and was beating himself up trying too hard. I trained him how to utilize his bike properly and he now averages about 10 mph and bikes about 7-10 miles regularly without problem. He even throws in a sprint near the end if riding with me just to see what he has left in the tank.
I have no idea as to training programs, but I am sure there are some out there; unfortunately, everyone is different and a specific program may be too easy or too hard for some. It is not hard to create your own program; just set reasonable goals based on your present level of fitness, and try to combine with other means of exercise be it walking, or other activities that raise up your heart rate a little and utilize different muscles. Immediately after completing a workout check your pulse (you should know what your resting pulse is), continue checking your pulse every couple of minutes until you reach your resting pulse rate. This will give you your recovery time which is a good reference as to how well your conditioning and stamina are improving regardless of how hard you are working out. You should notice that your recovery time shortens significantly given the same level of workout. The weight loss will come on its own, just stick with it and do not push yourself to a level of discomfort unless you are confident about your physical condition and what you can accomplish. I recommend consulting with your doctor first and get an opinion from someone knowledgeable with your medical history. You should certainly do that if you suffer any adverse effects during or after exercising.

Good luck,
Howard
Ride Fast, Be Safe!
Howard
As a psychologist, I would like to give you some advice.

If you want to lose weight with cardio and are looking for some kind of program, it may not work.

Your weight loss process should bring you pleasure and only then you will get good results.

In any case, be healthy and take care of yourself!
Hi 🙋‍♂️
I'm sure you've now read a great deal regarding a cycling training plan for yourself but thought i would pass this on. Article contains a summary overview and tips for 'off bike' strength training in the gym.
Hope it helps and good luck...
'off bike' strength training
MD @europeancyclingtours

[Image: ECT-logo-770x607px-no-bg.png]
To lose weight cycling, you will need to stay in an oxygenated state.

This means you'll be cycling for distance under moderate pace and RPM.

Stick to your lower gears. I would suggest like 7-6-5 range (if 9 or 10 speed).

Challenge yourself on the distance. The more challenge, the more muscle you will build, and the higher your general calorie expensure will be.

You can do some high intensity interval sprints, but note that when you run out of breath, your body can no longer burn fat for energy. Get some creatine to supplement. Some EAA amino mix. And put your carbs on a tap, supplying at least 30g consistently per about each 5 miles.
(02-09-2021, 11:29 AM)Chris P-T Wrote:  New to the forum and joined based on a recommendation from a user on Reddit.

Any thoughts?

Both Garmin Connect and Polar have buult in training programs that range from begginer to intermediate levels. Try accessing the apps for your devices to pick and choose which programs would suit you.
I’m not to sure about programs but when I was 19-20 I lost like 40-50lbs in / summer as I was a fair bit overweight. I’d just wake up in the morning and go on a 20 mile fasted bike ride every morning. Lost all the weight in 3-4 months but I was eating super healthy as well 🤘🏼
it can burn a lot of calories while providing a low-impact workout but you'll also be losing a lot of muscle mass quickly as is the case with any intense cardio session.

I would advise you to vary your cycling routine by incorporating high-intensity interval training (HIIT) or hill training, which can increase your calorie burn and challenge your otherwise noraml routine. Stay hydrated and pack energy snacks with you
Cycling is a great way to lose weight and improve your overall fitness. As for a program, have you checked out the Garmin Connect app? They have pre-made cycling workouts that you can follow and customize to your fitness level.
Cycling is a great way to lose weight and improve your overall fitness. As for a program, have you checked out the Garmin Connect app? They have pre-made cycling workouts that you can follow and customize to your fitness level.
Additionally, if you're looking for a comprehensive weight loss program, you might want to consider reaching out to Medical Weight Loss of the Lehigh Valley. They offer personalized programs tailored to your specific needs and goals and can guide both diet and exercise. You can check out their website at https://medicalweightlosslehighvalley.com/ for more information.
Remember, losing weight takes time and dedication, so don't get discouraged if you don't see immediate results.
If you are looking for training programs, there are a lot of great options out there. You might want to check out apps like Zwift or TrainerRoad, which offer structured workout plans and integrate with your Garmin and HR monitor.
(02-09-2021, 11:29 AM)Chris P-T Wrote:  我希望利用骑自行车作为我的有氧运动成分来减肥。我知道我在饮食和热量摄入等方面还有很多工作要做,但我正在寻找一个好的计划来遵循(例如在网站、应用程序等上)来帮助我​制定骑自行车减肥计划。
For online resources, there are many apps and websites that offer training plans and tracking tools specifically for cycling enthusiasts, such as Strava, MapMyRide, TrainingPeaks, and more. I use the BP Doctor smartwatch to track my progress and it's pretty good.

Any thoughts?

As your fitness improves, aim for regular riding workouts and progressively increase the frequency. Start with 3–4 weekly sessions. Interval training has been shown to help people lose weight. Mix in a variety of cardiovascular-strengthening interval exercises together with slow-paced rides. Heart rate zones may help you focus your efforts.
Always monitor your progress. It's good that you've got a GARMIN. Use polar flow to track your rides
[quote='Chris P-T' pid='40691' dateline='1612884585']
New to the forum and joined based on a recommendation from a user on Reddit.

Any thoughts?
Hey, Chris, welcome to Bikeride. There are certainly plenty of cardio programs for weight loss. Many proponents and opponents. Indoor cycling v outdoors. HR monitor is a great tool, but you first should find your resting heart rate and also your max HR in order to find your HR zones, such as cardio, fat burn, aerobic, and anaerobic zones to train in. I can't go over an entire fitness program with you but I suggest starting slow with a proper mindset, making realistic goals, doing it with a friend with experience, getting a personal trainer, and getting regular sports massages. The original Spinning program is the best for HR training and safety.
(02-09-2021, 11:29 AM)Chris P-T Wrote:  weight-loss program with cycling
Here’s What May Be an Effective Bicycle Weight Loss Plan:
Week 1-2: Getting Started

Day 1-3:

Morning: 20-30 minutes of moderate-intensity cycling.
Evening: Bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, and planks (20-30 minutes).
Day 4:

Rest day or light stretching/yoga.
Day 5-7:

Morning: 30-40 minutes of cycling at a moderate intensity.
Evening: Bodyweight exercises or light strength training (20-30 minutes).
Week 3-4: Increasing Intensity

Day 1-3:

Morning: 30-45 minutes of cycling, increasing intensity slightly.
Evening: Include resistance training with weights or resistance bands (20-30 minutes).
Day 4:

Rest day or gentle yoga/stretching.
Day 5-7:

Morning: 40-50 minutes of cycling at a moderate to high intensity.
Evening: Mix cardio with strength training (e.g., circuit training).
Week 5-6: Intensifying Workouts

Day 1-3:

Morning: 45-60 minutes of cycling, incorporating intervals (alternate between moderate and high intensity).
Evening: Focus on strength training, emphasizing compound movements (e.g., deadlifts, bench press, rows).
Day 4:

Rest day with light stretching or yoga.
Day 5-7:

Morning: Long-distance cycling (60-90 minutes) at a steady pace.
Evening: High-intensity interval training (HIIT) or plyometric exercises for explosive strength.
Week 7-8: Pushing Limits

Day 1-3:

Morning: 60-90 minutes of cycling, pushing intensity levels.
Evening: Incorporate advanced strength training techniques like supersets or drop sets.
Day 4:

Rest day with active recovery activities such as walking or swimming.
Day 5-7:

Morning: Hill cycling or off-road cycling for 60-90 minutes.
Evening: Flexibility training or yoga to improve recovery and prevent injury.
Week 9-10: Final Push

Day 1-3:

Morning: 60-90 minutes of cycling, focusing on speed and endurance.
Evening: High-intensity full-body workouts incorporating both cardio and strength exercises.
Day 4:

Rest day with light activities like walking or gentle stretching.
Day 5-7:

Morning: Endurance ride of 2-3 hours at a moderate pace.
Evening: Relaxation and recovery techniques such as foam rolling, massage, or meditation.

When I ride, I also use my BP Doctor smart watch to monitor my heart rate and mileage, which is very important to me.

Any thoughts?

Hey Chris! Welcome to bikeride.com!

First off, congrats for taking the plunge and deciding to find a better version of yourself thru cycling. Your Garmin and Polar Watch come with begginer friendly programs you can follow once your done with these you can try something like this

3days straight 2hrs Zone 2 Ride
1 day Rest
1 day zone 2 ride
1 day interval/tempo ride
1 day Rest

This will give you around 8 hours of training per week with ample time for rests

Hope it helps!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-08-2024, 11:53 PM
Last Post: Biglabrowdy

02-15-2023, 07:53 AM
Last Post: Lss555

04-22-2010, 06:01 PM