Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Are all folding tyres made of Kevlar bead?
Hello guys

I understand cheaper regular tyres are made with a steel wire bead. But are all folding tyres made of Kevlar bead? I have just purchased a set of tyres as per attached photo and wanted to know if the bead is Kevlar. Can anybody please help?

Thanks
I believe all folding tires use a kevlar bead.
Note that this is completely separate from a "kevlar belt" which is built into some tires to provide puncture protection. Just mention it because some people confuse the two.
(11-06-2014, 07:56 PM)DaveM Wrote:  I believe all folding tires use a kevlar bead.
Note that this is completely separate from a "kevlar belt" which is built into some tires to provide puncture protection. Just mention it because some people confuse the two.

Thank you Dave for your reply. So how would I know if the tires have a Kevlar belt ie puncture protection? Would that be marked on the tires?

Thank you
Normally yes. They would probably say something like "puncture protection", etc. Note that not all puncture resistant belts are kevlar though it's common. If the tires say "super light" they probably aren't belted. Belts add weight and give you higher rolling resistance (i.e slower). Tradeoffs...

For offroad, you're more likely to get flats from pinch flats than from punctures (UNLESS you live somewhere where thorns like goatheads are common.) On road, you're more likely to get glass, metal, and other things that belts will sometimes, but not always, stop.

You can get separate "tire liners" which are just belts you put between the tire and tube that help a lot too. But note that they have the same weight and rolling resistance issues that a belted tire does.
(11-07-2014, 12:59 PM)DaveM Wrote:  Normally yes. They would probably say something like "puncture protection", etc. Note that not all puncture resistant belts are kevlar though it's common. If the tires say "super light" they probably aren't belted. Belts add weight and give you higher rolling resistance (i.e slower). Tradeoffs...

For offroad, you're more likely to get flats from pinch flats than from punctures (UNLESS you live somewhere where thorns like goatheads are common.) On road, you're more likely to get glass, metal, and other things that belts will sometimes, but not always, stop.

You can get separate "tire liners" which are just belts you put between the tire and tube that help a lot too. But note that they have the same weight and rolling resistance issues that a belted tire does.

Thank you for your reply Dave. It was very helpful.

Possibly Related Threads...