Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Creaking Real Wheel On Beach Cruiser Bike :(
Hello. I'm new to the forums and was getting a little help in another thread with replacing the bottom bracket on my mountain ( spare ) bike. Parts are on order and now my main beach cruiser bike is having issues.

This morning it started creaking bad in the real wheel.
I lubed it up but still sounds bad.
Also the wheel seems true.

Any ideas?

Video Of Rear Wheel Creak

Another Video From Other Side Of Wheel After Lubing
Hello again! Your chain is too tight. If you look very carefully at where the chain first meets the cog at the time of the sound you can see the chain "jumps" up very slightly due to not meeting the cog tooth smoothly. The chain should have a small amount of slack at the tightest point. Rotate the crank so that the chain is at the tightest point in the crank rotation (they are never perfectly round/centered). Loosen the drive side nut and move the axle slightly forward so that you can easily deflect the chain slightly (up/down) with your finger and retighten. Then loosen the brake arm screw and left hand nut, move axle forward to recenter the wheel, and tighten. Turn round to make sure the problem is gone and chain is just lightly loose at tightest point and you're done.

I hope that the hub adjustment you made was done with the help of a cone wrench. It's critical that the outside nut and the cone be locked against each other.
I adjusted the hub with an adjustable wrench. It only took about 3/4 of a turn. I did a full turn but it felt too tight with how the wheel spun so I backed it up a tiny bit.

I did what you said but I think it's too loose now and making a new noise LOL.
It sounds like a coin hitting metal or like a dog tag jingle noise. (not my dogs they run around the house naked)

I re-tightened the moved break arm fastening too so the new noise isnt that.

Video 3

I read somewhere it may be a loose spoke. I have 3 spoke wrenches and my 3.5mm will fit on my mountain bike spokes but not these so I just ordered a spoke wrench that has several different sizes on it including ones bigger that my current set and i just need it a tiny bit bigger so I should be good. I always have " parts on order " LOL

SIDE NOTE - parts still on order with the other bike. Ordered bottom bracket, assembly and they sent me just the spindle. I called huffy again and they said sorry and would send the rest. They just sent the spindle again. Called huffy back yesterday and the super helpful guy said he would pick out the parts himself with the parts manager this time. He called back and said the barring rings are on back order. I called him again today to say now THIS bike needs a new bottom assembly as there is play in that area ( not bad yet but may as well order while its still all under warranty ) He said he would send it out with the parts from the other bike. At least Huffy customer service is nice ( cant say I love the parts department which must be smoking something)
When you don't use a thin cone wrench on the flats beneath the locknut to first adjust the bearing and then hold it in place while you tighten the locknut the adjustment will likely come loose again.

No, a loose spoke only makes noise when ridden, not when upside down. Try again to get the chain tension just right and make sure your wheel is centered and the rear cog lines up OK with the front chainwheel when you eyeball it from the right. Also, look at the chain from above and see if it weaves back and forth as you turn the cranks. Anyone there who can give in-person help?

Play in the crank bearings does not usually call for a new crank, generally just an adjustment, which on the cruiser can be done with a large adjustable wrench and a screwdriver to move the cone.
When you don't use a thin cone wrench on the flats beneath the locknut to first adjust the bearing and then hold it in place while you tighten the locknut the adjustment will likely come loose again. ---------------------------> good to know. I dont have a cone wrench and I've had lock nuts on and off several times changing flat tires. I'll keep a look out for that now. Thanks

No, a loose spoke only makes noise when ridden, not when upside down. Try again to get the chain tension just right and make sure your wheel is centered and the rear cog lines up OK with the front chainwheel when you eyeball it from the right. Also, look at the chain from above and see if it weaves back and forth as you turn the cranks. Anyone there who can give in-person help?-------------------------------> Thanks! I'll try again. Nope. It's just me.

Play in the crank bearings does not usually call for a new crank, generally just an adjustment, which on the cruiser can be done with a large adjustable wrench and a screwdriver to move the cone. ---------------> Thanks. The pedaling feels fine I just noticed the play and wanted to get the parts while under warranty for later Smile I'll try to adjust it a little Smile
between fixing the bike, jetski and scooter I really need to buy some lava soap to wash the grease off my hands LOL. You would think I would have learned how to fix my bike first before the other two!

I feel like its in the wheel.

Don't mind my dog's obnoxious bark at the end. Apparently he thought he heard something outside.

Clink Clank, Video 4

Edit : Okay went back and adjusted the way the wheel sits again and I think I got it just right. No more clank, but the jingle is left. Are there ball barrings in the back hub? My best guess is a barring came loose and its just rolling around in there maybe?

Jingle Video

I'm going to work on getting some rust off my crank arms and kick stand for now. After I plan on spraying some rustoleum silver glitter spray on them to make it look happy and try to keep the rust away lol. Never too old for glitter.
Congrats on the chain - does look about right now.

Yes, there are balls (bearings) in the hub but it's not possible for them to "come loose." There is a spring inside the hub that pushes the driver back into place when you change from braking to pedaling, and it sounds to me like the noise has something to do with that spring. As long as there's no problem with braking or pedaling you can leave it alone. Correcting it would require overhauling the hub, which is not terribly difficult - I did one when I was 12 years old. Park Tool has a tutorial that's good, covers your specific hub, I think (Shimano?). http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/coaster-hub-overhaul-pedal-brake-hub
Thanks I'll check it out. I derusted the crank levers and kick stand, gave them a glittery coat. Spun the wheel again and the clank is back. Sigh.

Between the CLR, spray paint smell, crap on TV and being annoyed with this I'm about over this for today lol.

http://youtu.be/ywIDLH1jbOY

I feel like I want to replace the rear hub. If I just let it go and deal with the noise as long as I can pedal and brake okay, will it damage anything further on the bike other than the rear hub?
I try to keep my bike from being noisy, not only because it annoys me but I like to bike early ( like 4am or 5am and I don't want the noises it makes to set off all the dogs in the neighborhood and wake people up )

I emailed huffy to see if they can add a new rear hub onto my order LOL.
I really hate that you can't edit a post if its been more than 60 min since you posted. So now I have to make multiple posts with updates. I had to go somewhere and the bike sounds down right horrible. It sounded like two tiny mice were inside my rear hub banging on it with wrenches. I could feel the clanking in the bike seat. When I went around a corner it quieted down and for about 10 seconds then came back. I tried riding slow and fast and still the same clanking. I need parts to finish coming for either bike so I can have one functioning bike on the road lol. Its my main mode of transportation Tongue

http://youtu.be/DgMOOxKpDtA
It's unfortunate you've had so many problems, as coaster brakes bikes are generally low maintenance. I would warn you again that the bearings could tighten or loosen due to the cone on the right side not being properly locked, and that can indeed cause problems. You may want to take the rear wheel off and see how the bearings feel when you hold the axle brake arm and turn the wheel forward.
Ya thats why I got the coaster break bike lol. i got sick of adjusting v-brakes on my mountain bike and bought the cruiser. i had a bent rim in back, tried to true it, snapped some spokes and huffy send me a new rim. put that on, still couldnt get the brakes right, brought it to a bike shop, paid $15 for them to adjust the brakes and on the way home the bottom bracket went. I just couldnt pedal or I could a little after it " caught " in there. Def wasn't safe though. I just have crappy luck with bikes and my scooter.

The cone looked like it was locked properly but I'll test it out when I get the part in. I'm over dealing with the beach cruiser for now.

I had emailed huffy for a new rear hub and they emailed back with an order number that said " rear wheel " next to it. Not sure if i can get so lucky as to have them send a whole wheel but we will see. So until I get that part I'm going back to trying to fix , or start fixing the mountain bike.

V

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-6222-page-2.html Smile
They may indeed send a rear wheel. The other option would be the internal parts of the hub, which means they have to match the hub model.
I'd be thrilled it they sent a whole wheel. I have no problems taking a tire and tire liner off of one and putting it on a new wheel. I have rim tape ready too.

If not I'd hope they send the internal parts of the hub . They have the date code from my bike so they know the exact model.

I've seen pictures of hubs with all the little holes around them for the spokes but there is noooo wayyyy I'm redoing all the spokes LOL.
Don't worry about it - not gonna happen that way. If you do get the entire hub the intent would be to just replace your hubs internals with that of the replacement.
cool. Smile
Straightbangin, gotta tell ya, you crack me up! I love ya like a little sister already! (or @ my age a daughter) Smile got to to give it to you on the most video's in one post! love it, you just keep pluggin girl!. It does appear your hub guts are the problem on the cruiser. the crank on the other on, well. soak it and if you cannot get the puller threaded and it can be ridden at all, put the nut on just a thread or two and ride it around the hood til it loosens and starts to fall off and you are good to go
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks painkiller. My classic videos are how I learned to fix my 50cc scooter on a great scooter repair message board I found LOL.

You boys have no idea how strong I am. I'm used to tipping my 425 pound jetski up on land to get water out of the foot wells ( by myself) Getting the cranks off with the crank puller was cake once I figured out how to use the puller. LOL. Im down to the " oh damn, I should have ordered the special tools to get the cup and lock ring off " I tried mine. Needle nose pliers, hammer/screw driver, too small adjustable wrench. No go. So I ordered the ones you originally suggested for the job. Screw it. Can't have too many tools right? I'm going to need another tool kit. I also ordered a huge monkey wrench for the cup on the other side that seems to just screw off by hand to tighten it a little. I only have small adjustable pliers and crescent wrenches and vise grips online didnt seem to open more just under 2" I wanted to make sure I had pliers for larger jobs for the future too so got a monkey wrench too.

Ive got my mountain bike in my living room looking naked without anything on the bottom of it and waiting for tools plus barring rings that Huffy said are on back order.

I've got my scooter outside waiting for an air compressor so I can replace the valve stems so I can drive her again

I've got my beach crusier looking great but sounding like a whore in a paint can shaker who swallowed a bunch of steel marbles. Yes I have a strange sort of creativity about me.

I've got to run errands so I'll have to deal with the embarrassment of the sound she makes. I guess I'll never roll my eyes again at people who have bikes that sound horrible thinking geeze get that bike fixed... maybe they too have what I always have in my life " parts / tools on order " LOL.

Smile
Awesome! P.S. Love your dogs too! Smile
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Thanks! Smile Love those pups to death. I've always had cats and hamsters so its exciting to have my first dogs.

A few days ago Huffy shipped me a bottom bracket assembly for the beach cruiser ( it had play in it so I thought I needed one ) but turns out I just had to tighten it up. So I have these parts put away for later. Today I received a full replacement rim with rim tape and all instead of just the rear hub that I needed for the beach crusier. Very excited to have my bike not making a racket around the neighborhood and have a whole new rim. I want to open up the hub on the other one anyway and see what all the noise was about. This is the first time i've ever been set a rim ( bought or warranty replacement ) where the rim tape was already put on. I guess the rim tape I bought can go in the spare bike parts box too. Very happy with Huffy! I'm still waiting on the back order parts for my mountain bike bottom bracket. At least I'll have one bike in good shape. Ok time to get out of my new clothes and into something crappy because I'm about to get dirty and grease all over lol. I'll let you guys know what all that racket was about if its obvious Smile

Possibly Related Threads...