Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Choosing the Correct Freewheel
Hello. My friend gave me this bike. It is a 21 speed, but the freewheel in the back only has 6 sprockets. I saw the video on changing the freewheel, so I will need the nut adapter tool, but how do I choose the proper freewheel. Will any freewheel with 7 "speeds" or sprockets be compatible.

Thanks Lazaro M.
West New York, NJ

[attachment=4461][attachment=4460][attachment=4459]
dunno where the 6 speed comes into play or freewheel for that fact. I think that model came with a cassette and was a 7 speed stock. if it has a freewheel then I would think the rims/wheelset has been swapped at some time. but to answer the question any shimano compatible 7 speed should work. take the wheel off and take a better picture closeup of the gears. that model also would have had a quick release hub in the rear. It was near the top of the line for the crossway line being an 850. I would have to think the wheels are a down grade fit to keep the bike going. If the bike fits, you like it, and you got it for free. Think about investing in a new wheelset. you can find a pair for less than $200 and you can have your quick release system back plus put some value back into the old goat. they were nice bikes back in the 90s. I used to sell them. Go buy some Turtle wax polishing compound, take some old socks or cotton rags and hand polish the crap out of it. it is safe to use a soft toothbrush and wd40 to degrime the paint, cheap cleaner to take off the wd and Buff and fluff away.you can even use the polishing compound on your alloy parts to make them shine again
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
10-4 to what Pk said That's one tall bike, you must be 6'5" or so. Yeh more CU shots of gear cluster center is needed. Check for names on hubs and rims...PK may be able to tell you if original.

On the thought of QR its possible it was replaced so the front wheel can be taken off and chained together with the rear wheel and frame. However I just do not leave my bike anywhere have seen empty stripped frames and wheels left chained to a lamp post. Sucks..
Never Give Up!!!
(09-11-2013, 05:28 PM)lazmotron Wrote:  It is a 21 speed, but the freewheel in the back only has 6 sprockets.
Will any freewheel with 7 "speeds" or sprockets be compatible.
I don't see how the bike works at the moment, as the shifter is a 7 speed indexed and the rear gears look like 6 speed non-indexed, but it's hard to tell from the picture quality. If it's a freewheel, I would have expected a bigger gap from 6th gear to the frame. It looks close, like a cassette.
It doesn't look like a SRAM 1:1 derailleur, so any Shimano 7 speed should work, although I would avoid the mega range models. Sunrace & other brands would work too. If your shifter is toast it's super cheap to replace.
Why not get the bike working with new gears & see how you like it?
Thanks for all the answers. My friend gave me the bike without the front and rear wheels. Our bike shop owner then gave me the rims for free, but the rear wheels had a 6 sprocket freewheel, not 7, so only the "middle speed works. I will replace the freewheel with a 7 "speed" Shimano freewheel and also thanks for the cleaning tips, I will do them. Thanks to all answers..my question was answered.
The local that gave you the wheels should have the tool to remove the old freewheel. Most shops are free or $5 to remove if not stuck. You would need a tool to fit the 6 speed freewheel which may not fit in the 7 speed. You do not need to buy a tool to install the 7 speed freewheel, only to remove it later.
Grease the threads a bit before installing the new freewheel or it may become difficult to remove.
Measure & check or just replace the chain when you get the new freewheel.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will replace the chain. Also I am 5'10" tall and this bike is too large for me. But I want to keep it because it was a friends gift. I may sell it next year or keep it as a spare for anyone who wants to ride with me who is tall. One other question, the seat post and seat are as low as they can go. Is there any way to get the seat and seat post combo any lower, so that it's a safer and more comfortable ride?
Quote: Is there any way to get the seat and seat post combo any lower, so that it's a safer and more comfortable ride?
Only by rebuilding the frame with different tubes...
(09-22-2013, 04:55 AM)lazmotron Wrote:  Thanks for the recommendation. I will replace the chain. Also I am 5'10" tall and this bike is too large for me. But I want to keep it because it was a friends gift. I may sell it next year or keep it as a spare for anyone who wants to ride with me who is tall. One other question, the seat post and seat are as low as they can go. Is there any way to get the seat and seat post combo any lower, so that it's a safer and more comfortable ride?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Admirable of you to want to use a gift your friend gave you, but that bike is way to large for you I am surprised you can reach the pedals.

You may want to consider getting a smaller frame and moving the parts to it. Than sell the frame or keep it as wall art.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_511239_-1___
Never Give Up!!!
Lazmo, update your Bio as to where you live. you never know how close you might be to one of us, plus every once in awhile strange good things happen. I know where there is a crossway of the same vintage I could probably get on the cheap for you that would fit nice.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Dude, in future, don't put your exact street address, just give your area.
(09-22-2013, 03:25 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Lazmo, update your Bio as to where you live. you never know how close you might be to one of us, plus every once in awhile strange good things happen. I know where there is a crossway of the same vintage I could probably get on the cheap for you that would fit nice.

I live in West New York, New Jersey. It's only a 1 square mile town but the county I'm in has a very high population. 1 square mile, where a lot of people live. I am just outside, New York City.

Possibly Related Threads...