Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Handlebars won't turn wheel
Hey guys, I have a quick question. When I'm riding my bike, I can't turn the wheel when I turn the handlebar. Like I can't steer at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
Sounds like you need to tighten up the stem bolt.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
(03-29-2013, 04:48 PM)nathanlink169 Wrote:  Hey guys, I have a quick question. When I'm riding my bike, I can't turn the wheel when I turn the handlebar. Like I can't steer at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
You mean the bars will turn both ways but the front wheel does not?
(03-30-2013, 12:03 PM)1FJEF Wrote:  
(03-29-2013, 04:48 PM)nathanlink169 Wrote:  Hey guys, I have a quick question. When I'm riding my bike, I can't turn the wheel when I turn the handlebar. Like I can't steer at all. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks.
You mean the bars will turn both ways but the front wheel does not?

Yep. The bars turn unrestricted but the wheel doesn't. It's not locked in place, it moves interdependently from the handlebars.
FYI

http://sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

The expender or wedge is held in place by a long bolt tightened at the top of the stem.
Never Give Up!!!
If it won't tighten, just spins, the expander "nut" has come undone, pull the stem & check or turn the bike upside down & see if you can get it to re engage.
I need help turning when I turn my handle the wheel is weird and is going the wrong way can anyone help me

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome, Thomas. Can you post a better picture of the bike handles especially the stem? Depending on your bicycle, a rubber/plastic cap might be hiding the bolt underneath that you will need to tighten. Good luck.:-)
The stem bolt sounds like the problem child here for sure, as they said above
Hello Thomas, I hope you have been able to figure out your issue. In this picture, I kind of see where the bolt would be. It's where the cables are crossing and head to main part of the bike. Looks like you have a plastic cover over the bolt. You can usually pop that cover and then adjust the bolt. Try it and let us know how it goes..:-)

(06-26-2023, 01:42 PM)Thomas M Wrote:  I need help turning when I turn my handle the wheel is weird and is going the wrong way can anyone help me

Possibly Related Threads...