Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Help with alignment of new wheels...
I finally upgraded my wheels to something stronger for my 235lbs. I was previously on Bontrager SSR's and they felt so flimsy and I hated them. I bought a set of Velocity deep V's w/ 32 spoes and 105 hubs online. I swapped my old 9 sp cassette onto my new wheels which i was told were a drop in for my old wheels (spacing included). I installed them but they sit totally crooked when seated all the way down into the rear dropouts. I can loosen the the quick release and shift it so it aligns in the middle of the brake pads but when seated all the way down, it's totally crooked in the brake pads. my old wheels sat right in the middle when seated. Am I missing something here? Thanks for any help.
What type of bike do you have them on? A photo of the back of the bike would help to.
Have fun and just enjoy the ride
some pics may help, assuming your rear tringle has not been damaged. It sounds like the dish is off on your new wheel. If what you mean is that your new wheel is off center when seated in your lugs. I have seen many a new bicycle with the dish slightly off on the wheels and would dish them to the bike. A truing stand is what you need for the task. you may want to take it to the shop if you have never done this, but you would work incrementally by starting at the stem hole and loosen each spoke on the side that the rim is to far over on a 1/4 turn. then tighten the other side spokes a 1/4 turn.
mount wheel back in frame, check how even side to side and repeat til you have it. then put back in stand and give a final true to the wheel and there ya go.
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I don't think it's dish as he said he can align by adjusting the QR.

If you ignore the pads, will the wheel mount keeping an even spacing between the chain stays behind the bottom bracket and the seat stays at the brake area?

Check the old wheel for this also.

I'm 30lbs bigger than you, & I eventually bend every frame I ride at the rear triangle (not the drop outs, the whole triangle), so that the wheel leans to the left (non-drive side) at the top, while remaining inline at the bottom bracket.

So my rear wheel is true to the direction of travel but leans to the left at the top.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-13-2020, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Jesper

02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Chuck

10-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Last Post: RobAR