Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Left gear shift not working
Just starting to get into biking. Have been using right gear exclusively, with left gear at 1. Today started to use left gear, shifted to 3. There was an immediate change in gears that I could feel, but then a lot of clanky racket happened and suddenly the change vanished and the left gear doesn't work anymore - seems to be stuck at 1. The number will switch to 2 and 3, but the gear stays the same. I tried to take a look and noticed that the cord connected to the left gear is much looser than the one connected to the right gear. Of course being new to bikes I didn't want to try to fix it myself just yet, for fear of messing it up further. What should I do to fix this?
Take some pics of what you have, but it sounds like your cable popped loose
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(03-11-2013, 08:41 PM)painkiller Wrote:  Take some pics of what you have, but it sounds like your cable popped loose

If the cable popped loose, how would a newb go about putting it back in?
after i know what exactly we are dealing with i can tell you. work on pics. i want to see the shifters and the front derailluer areas
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(03-11-2013, 09:37 PM)painkiller Wrote:  after i know what exactly we are dealing with i can tell you. work on pics. i want to see the shifters and the front derailluer areas

Not sure exactly what you're looking for so I took a few different angled shots of my front derailleur.

Left shifter:
http://i.imgur.com/FwVSOu8.jpg

Derailleur:
http://i.imgur.com/kfXl62w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wSEv2kV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9EeKSQZ.jpg
yes cable is slackened, has anybody messed around with it or did this just happen? click the top trigger three or 4 times, loosen the socket bolt on the derailluer and with needle nose pliers pull cable tight and tighten bolt
(03-11-2013, 10:03 PM)painkiller Wrote:  yes cable is slackened, has anybody messed around with it or did this just happen? click the top trigger three or 4 times, loosen the socket bolt on the derailluer and with needle nose pliers pull cable tight and tighten bolt

It just happened while I was switching gears in the middle of a ride.

Went down to the bike lockers - held the cable in place with the needle nose pliers, and used my allan key to tighten the bolt. Works like a charm. Thank you so much!
its okay to clean the grit and grime, lube once in awhile too. Smile
glad it worked. every now and again go thru the bike and check for loose bolts, especially the crank arms

Possibly Related Threads...