Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

What's that hole for?
Some of my hubs... Campy rear, Shimano 600 front & rear... have a hole in wall of the body with a spring clip cover. I've heard it referred to as an oil hole. That seems odd since the axle bearings are grease packed and how would your ever get to the center of the hub and put oil in there?

Or is there a special tool (oiler) that I should have and be using? If so, what type and viscosity of oil should be used?

Not the best pic, but if you look close you can see the spring clip beside the hole in the center of the hub's body. This is the Shimano 600 rear. [attachment=3688]
Yes it is an oil/grease hole and was found on older hubs, I think the idea was to use a small grease gun to force new grease into the hubs and push the old, dirty grease out the sides. However, new hubs don't have them and it's probably best not to use oil and instead pack the bearings with grease and if they need re-greasing, disassemble the hubs, clean the bearings and re-pack them with fresh grease.
Yep 10- 4 to what xerxes said, you are better off taking the hub apart and cleaning and re greasing with marine waterproof grease.

Chain saw grease guns have small tips or a smaller tip can be screwed on, and are inexpensive. BUT see above.
Never Give Up!!!
I'm no stranger to chainsaws and there's no way you'ld get a bar greaser inside the laced spokes and refresh the bearings packing.

There's more to more to these holes and someone ain't telling!

Seriously, I've been servicing wheel bearing for three decades plus, always wondering what this hole and clip were for...

Here's more fodder for thought... while my rear, circa early ' 70's Campy rear hub has the 'oil' hole, the front, which came from the same boxed set, does not???
you are making to much out of it, this is the deal. it is in the rear mostly because it takes more effort to tear apart the rear than the front. something like this is what to use
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/grease-pump.htm
these style pumps have been around for a long time. it is fine to use the port and pump, but advised to once in awhile take the hub apart and inspect/clean/lube as you would for the front. no more no less
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
(11-04-2012, 10:50 PM)painkiller Wrote:  you are making to much out of it, this is the deal. it is in the rear mostly because it takes more effort to tear apart the rear than the front. something like this is what to use
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/grease-pump.htm
these style pumps have been around for a long time. it is fine to use the port and pump, but advised to once in awhile take the hub apart and inspect/clean/lube as you would for the front. no more no less

Your right, I'm fixating... and we all know what curiosity got the cat...

Thank y'all for enlightening me to one of life's little mysteries.

That grease pump is fascinating. I've never seen the likes before or ever knew anyone filled their hubs with grease.
M105, you are not as familiar with grease guns as you think you are. I just tried to see if I could get my small chain saw grease gun to reach my hub and had no problems (no hole in my hub) as per larger grease guns an extension hose with a tip could reach too.

BTW I use this grease gun with a rubber tip to grease the swingarm bearings on my 1982 BMW motorcycle.

PK nice tool if it would only fit my marine grease tub. :-))

As per filling hubs with grease, the idea did not work well as filling hubs with grease did not guarantee it got into the bearings. You need to pump till you see grease coming out both sides. Best dismantle and service.
Never Give Up!!!

Possibly Related Threads...