Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

How do I remove a rounded hex nut on my v-brake?
Hi all, my v-brake badly needs replacing but to my horror I found the 5mm hex nut has rounded-off and I'm unable to remove this v-brake. What is the best way to solve this problem??

[Image: c43txogtxziyej38x68d.jpg]
(07-31-2012, 04:17 PM)d3v Wrote:  Hi all, my v-brake badly needs replacing but to my horror I found the 5mm hex nut has rounded-off and I'm unable to remove this v-brake. What is the best way to solve this problem??

[Image: c43txogtxziyej38x68d.jpg]

I would saw/file a slot across it and try and get it off with a big screwdriver.
Suggest first cleaning it than adding some penetrating oil. Let soak for a while. Try sticking a tightly fitted screwdriver into it, hammer lightly is OK. If it sticks out cut a slot in it like xerexes suggested. There are pastes you can put in there to help the Allan wrench get a bite. Ask at automotive shops.
If all fails you may have to use an easy out, again ask at automotive shops.
Or take it to a local dealer and let them do it. The tools would cost more than the fee.
Never Give Up!!!
(07-31-2012, 05:34 PM)GeorgeET Wrote:  Suggest first cleaning it than adding some penetrating oil. Let soak for a while. Try sticking a tightly fitted screwdriver into it, hammer lightly is OK. If it sticks out cut a slot in it like xerexes suggested. There are pastes you can put in there to help the Allan wrench get a bite. Ask at automotive shops.
If all fails you may have to use an easy out, again ask at automotive shops.
Or take it to a local dealer and let them do it. The tools would cost more than the fee.

Agree - George you are ahead of me again Smile
Nigel
I think that's the first. :-) But I always enjoy all the research links you provide.
Never Give Up!!!
If that fails use these BUT CAREFULLY!!!......
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Ye the ole vise grip, unfortunately nothing to grab on that flush domed bolt. I suppose you can do some grinding or cutting to try to get a surface to bite.
Never Give Up!!!
Hey guys I finally got round to doing it by grinding two flats using my angle grinder and then simply unscrewed the bolt with a standard wrench - perfect.
(08-10-2012, 05:30 AM)d3v Wrote:  Hey guys I finally got round to doing it by grinding two flats using my angle grinder and then simply unscrewed the bolt with a standard wrench - perfect.

Thank goodness you solved it before I had to chime in. My typical solution to a stubborn part is to find a bigger hammer. Smile
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Lmao @ Rob!!!! Glad you got it!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill is a big Sawz-All fan. I like Dremel Tools. I can fit more bits in a little box. Wanna buy a hammer?
(08-10-2012, 05:30 AM)d3v Wrote:  Hey guys I finally got round to doing it by grinding two flats using my angle grinder and then simply unscrewed the bolt with a standard wrench - perfect.

Yup, the 'ole angle grinder is one of my favorite tools to have in a shop. I have three. It's like a Dremel on steroids. But you have to be very careful with them. Smile

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Rob,
LMAO also, I have 5 different size hammers, luckily I haven't had to use the 2 1/2-pound or 5 pound sledges (as yet). Thank God for PB Blast, like tabasco, I use that **** on eveything.

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

(08-16-2012, 08:58 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Rob,
LMAO also, I have 5 different size hammers, luckily I haven't had to use the 2 1/2-pound or 5 pound sledges (as yet). Thank God for PB Blast, like tabasco, I use that **** on eveything.

So... When are we all supposed to be at your place for dinner?
(08-24-2012, 10:40 PM)RobAR Wrote:  
(08-16-2012, 08:58 PM)barefooter Wrote:  Rob,

So... When are we all supposed to be at your place for dinner?

When I figure out how to make PB Blast taste good in a recipe!

Ride on, keep on riding
Riding on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on
Ride on, gonna have myself a good time - AC/DC

(08-16-2012, 08:58 PM)barefooter Wrote:  .... like tabasco, I use that **** on eveything.

So you buy it in gallon jugs Smile
http://countrystore.tabasco.com/TABASCO-Gallon-Jugs/productinfo/00052/
Nigel
I prefer Encona:

[Image: encona-WIOHPS.jpg]
I like the 80/90w because it has more body to it Big Grin . Then I spice it up with a dash of graphite (tastes just like salt and pepper). Then mix in some simple green! Wash it down with WD-40 Tongue. LMAO!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Last Post: sportsupdate