Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Will these handlebars work
I have a ladies Schwinn Frontier mountain bike.
Being in my 60's, now suffer lower back pain after riding about 30 minutes.
I was wondering if a Cruiser Riser Bar or Albatross bars would work on this bike?
If not would the cruiser type bicycle where you sit straight up be easier on back pain?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Pretty much any upright type bar should fit your bike I think. Your current set up should have a 1" clamp diameter (the size of the bar where the stem clamps it.) If they sweep back a lot, it is possible you would need to get slightly longer brake/gear cables, but it depends on how yours is set up currently.

Cruiser type bars tend to be very wide, so I'd lean toward albatross style more to give you an upright posture. Lots of people like this position better and find standard mtn bike set ups to be too aggressive. I would say that back pain is tricky though. Sitting upright actually puts more weight on your back (and less on your hands) and it's not a sure thing it will help. But it does for many. Exercises to build your core strength will probably help with back pain on and off the bike. But I'd say try it!
DaveM. Thanks for information. So appreciate it.
One-One: http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/bars_and_grips do a wide range of alternative style handlebars, like their Mungo, Mary and Midge models which offer more hand positions than a standard straight bar so you can move about a bit. You cloud also use handlebar tape instead of, or in addition to grips, to cover all the hand hold positions.

You could also try a shorter stem or one with more of a rise: http://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/stems
xerxes Thanks for links.
I'm 62 and had the same feeling about riding position, so I bought the longest stem I could find locally and a pair of BMX handlebars, couldn't get them in the clamp at the top of the stem because of the cross bar half way up the V shape of the BMX handlebars, so cut it off with a hacksaw, set them leaning back slightly, after a few tries by trial and error and bingo, I have had a few older people say the prefer to ride with back upright, so join the club.
when I was young in the 60s, I had a pair of Cow Horns handlebars, for the same reason, cant get hold of them now it seems.
IF anyone knows where I can get a pair I would be eternally grateful, cheers.

P.S. I also get comments from young people such as "like your bike mate" and even a few "Wows" and thats some bike you got there mate" etc....

Possibly Related Threads...