Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

The sixth gear has trouble
I have a bike that has trouble with the sixth gear (of seven) on the rear derailleur. When I turn it upside down and test the gears, everyone works perfect. But when I try to ride it, the sixth gear jumps. It kind of skips a little step. Does anyone have a solution to this? I have tried everything i can (I think), but it does not get better. It can be that it tries to shift up(or down, but most likely up it seems like), but if i adjust the shifter to be at the edge of going up or down, I still get the same problem.

It makes me crazy..

If anyone have questions, just ask.
Is some of the teeth on the sixth gear are missing, broken or worn out??? That can cause some skipping... Is that an old cassette or freehub with a lot of mileage?
+1, it sounds like worn cassette and chain, not a shifting problem. Does it skip worse if you pedal harder and go away if you pedal very lightly? That would be a confirming sign.
Quote:Posted by DaveM - Today 06:30 PM
+1, it sounds like worn cassette and chain, not a shifting problem. Does it skip worse if you pedal harder and go away if you pedal very lightly? That would be a confirming sign.

YES!

It does get worse when pedaling harder, and better when pedaling light.

What can I do with this problem?

edit:

PS: the bike is brand new, but I have put it together myself (it came in a box)
Well if it's brand new, then it's probably not a worn cassette and chain. This wear can happen pretty fast, but not out of the box.

Look at the spacing between the cogs in the cassette. Do the last couple have the same gap between them? It could be the cassette was installed with a missing spacer or one put in the wrong place.
(04-06-2012, 03:03 AM)DaveM Wrote:  Well if it's brand new, then it's probably not a worn cassette and chain. This wear can happen pretty fast, but not out of the box.

Look at the spacing between the cogs in the cassette. Do the last couple have the same gap between them? It could be the cassette was installed with a missing spacer or one put in the wrong place.

Check too that the chain is the correct length and does not have a tight link. Even new bikes I have repaired have had a chain that was too long and lacked correct tension on the chain. Good luck.
Cycle the streets of Bristol!

Possibly Related Threads...