Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Roller Brakes - Copper grease
My bike is fitted with Shimano BRIM 70 roller brakes. After about 2 1/2 years the rear brake has started to squeal. So I left the bike into a LBS for maintenance. I then proceeded to do some research on the brake and discovered that you should use a special shimano grease for these brakes. I contacted LBS and they said they had already used high temperature copper grease which would be just as good.
Further research seems to indicate that copper grease should not be used for lubrication of bearings as it contains fine copper particles, however it is used to prevent seizing.
Does anyone know if the LBS have used the wrong grease, and if so, can the grease be removed before I start using the bike again?
Hi jhjh,
First, are ya sure the squealing is not from hardened rubber pads? Next, if that is not the case then grease does get old and tacky (almost glue like). Not to familiar with copper grease properties but I am assuming grease is grease when it comes to aging and being exposed to the elements of nature. High temp or not grease gets old it gets tacky.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-28-2012, 11:16 AM)Bill Wrote:  Hi jhjh,
First, are ya sure the squealing is not from hardened rubber pads? Next, if that is not the case then grease does get old and tacky (almost glue like). Not to familiar with copper grease properties but I am assuming grease is grease when it comes to aging and being exposed to the elements of nature. High temp or not grease gets old it gets tacky.

Thanks Bill,
I am not aware of rubber pads in this type of brake, it is a drum brake with no replaceable parts, you are meant to grease it when you hear noise.
I think Copper grease has very fine copper particles which would act as an abrasive rather than lubricate! Can anyone confirm this, and should I be asking them for replacement brakes, rather than letting them try to flush it out and using the recommended grease?
The grease for the Shimano nexus roller brake ( hub) is a high temp, waterproof special grease. Copper grease is an anti seize product with fine copper powder. I have used it for years as a very effective anti seize. Never heard of it being used as a roller brake hub grease. The Shimano grease is injected into the hub through a port in the hub while it is being rotated. Contact Shimano customer service ( its on the net) and ask although I wonder how they greased yours. Best of luck.
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Ohhhh man you know I feel like a complete idiot Tongue lmao. My apologies I thought it was roller cam brakes hehehehe.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-28-2012, 09:04 PM)ghost Wrote:  The grease for the Shimano nexus roller brake ( hub) is a high temp, waterproof special grease. Copper grease is an anti seize product with fine copper powder. I have used it for years as a very effective anti seize. Never heard of it being used as a roller brake hub grease. The Shimano grease is injected into the hub through a port in the hub while it is being rotated. Contact Shimano customer service ( its on the net) and ask although I wonder how they greased yours. Best of luck.

Thank you, will contact Shimano customer services - good idea. It was a local bike shop that did this they plan to try and flush it back out...
Bill, I know what you mean! I had a roller cam rear brake on a trek 1980's that was on the rear below the chain stays. It was powerful and very efficient.
I really do not know how they intend to flush it out! It leaves a very thin copper coating on everything and is not a lubricating grease per se, it is an anti seize. I know what I would say!, but speak to Shimano and get their feed back. If they attempt to flush it, there are seals that do not like solvents and anyway, it would leave the copper behind that is not attached to the internals now. Good luck.
Cycle the streets of Bristol!
Those are the ones which brought ya to a stop rather fast no matter how fast one was going, atleast from what I have read lol.
I serviced a roller brake on a 1980's raleigh mtb this was fitted on the underside of the chainstays and was badly seized and covered in mud.

After removing it and stripping and cleaning it up i then cleaned the pivots and applied copper grease, when i refitted it i also fitted new brake blocks and a new brake inner and reset the brake
the owner never had any problems whatsoever after that with the brake and told me that the brake worked better than when the bike was new
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW ONE OF THE FINEST BICYCLES EVER MADE

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

02-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

12-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Joe_W