Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Project Fuji
The push push levers never really bothered me much but did not really catch on, but I am glad for that. I did like the trim pop on the front shifter as that was a nice touch. I have sold new bikes with those to people with disability's and had to swap them out for top mounts that they could palm easier. (The big company's forget about those people).
the other nice thing about the push push is that if you crash and bend your lever all you have to do is take it off and straighten it out. resin coated stamped steel is good for that, the same hit would snap an alloy lever. But I do not think the longevity of those were that great.
when you do your resto I suggest going for the rapidfire LX. close to era with better overall quality. Neat bike though Let us see more pics along the way!
Here is a link about Shimano Timeline history I know you and everyone will enjoy. and if you need more help let me know
Bob
http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Itching to get it where I could ride it a bit I slapped some cables on to set the derailleurs and check it out. smooth and sweet so far.
I still have not gotten the silver mavic XC717 rims laced with the Sapim C-xray spokes so I am not as light set up in this trim but not bad. I found a pretty good deal on another set of black ones as I may have to give in and go with the black ones. When I get the lighter Wheelset, the lighter cable set up, and replace the inner chainring to alloy I will have made my 20lb or under goal for the build. Here it is the way it is now.
I have thrown the $2000.00 or under goal to the wind. I just could not build the bike even close, as the way it sits right now it is roughly $2300.00
The sapim spokes I want build my Mavics with are about $4 bucks a piece alone, then nipples, NOS Deore DX hubs, NOS alloy Bio-Pace inner Chainring, and the Lighter compression less cable system will tip the 3 grand mark for sure. I even got what I think a good deal on a lot of stuff I purchased for this build that could of increased the price even further.
the purpose of this blog was to give everybody a real world example of just what it takes to put together a "simple build" from the ground up.
I truly enjoy everybody here @ bicycle tutor and the help and comments that we all share. To you I simply say "All The Best!"

Bob ( short for bald ole bastard)
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Finally done for all impractical purposes, I ended up going with straight gauge spokes as the Sapim x-rays were way high and I had met my 20lb goal close enough.I did go with gold anodized nipples and finished her off with the red anodized crimps to tie it all together
Funky cool ride and very responsive and quick handling
Nice DIY project. Got to start with the frame. Nashbar has some good sales.

Wonder how much a factory bike like that would cost.

I am almost finished turning my 1982 BMW R100RT touring motorcycle into a Cafe. Half the fun is getting there.
Never Give Up!!!
Thanks George, I would have to say a factory like this today would be in the $5000 dollar range, I have about $3000 in it and got the frame shipped to the house for around $153. Saved a couple hundred just on the brakes
and frame. I have more NOS goodies to do another project like my Amplifier resto. so on to the next project
have fun with your cafe'. I had a an 07' Z1000 that I sold and will miss dearly. thats how i was able to do this fuji project. now if I could find the right downhill maybe I could hit 150MPH on the Fuji, that would be a gas!
Again... very nice thread!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-09-2016, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Bill

01-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Last Post: elmore leonard

09-24-2014, 01:25 PM